1964 Carlton Flyer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Just a few detail pictures of the cycle as requested. Ive tinkered with lots of bikes over the years, but this was the first I'd ever built up from just a frame and forks. Mostly NOS or good pre-owned parts. Frame size is approx 22" (in old money), mostly Campag components. Still looking for a decent and reasonably priced Gran Sport Chainset, so until that day Ive got a 2007 Campag Veloce set up which works very smoothly and runs on a sealed BB spindle.

Bike is only ever ridden in dry good weather and gets more than its fair share of glances... must be the colour or me!:tongue:

I'll get some better full shots soon.

This was taken soon after I built up the machine, Ive since changed one or two details....
MIKESPICS134.jpg

You get the idea though.

More recent shot with my favourite World Tour tyres now added.
MIKESPICS001-1.jpg

A few close up details...
MIKESPICS010.jpg

MIKESPICS011.jpg

MIKESPICS004.jpg

GB 66 Courier centre pulls
MIKESPICS013.jpg

These work reasonably well.

MIKESPICS003.jpg

MIKESPICS005.jpg

The Gran Sport headset was a bit expensive to get hold of...
MIKESPICS006.jpg

Standard fitment on Carlton bikes of the 1960s, sourced from Dave Marsh...
MIKESPICS007.jpg

Im pretty sure these are standard Carlton line lugs...
MIKESPICS008.jpg

The Gran Sport rear mech needs its correct jockey wheels, the originals were shot, the mech itself is very smooth and after a little TLC gives no trouble at all.
MIKESPICS009.jpg

Decals were care of Nick at Lloyds...
MIKESPICS012.jpg

MIKESPICS014.jpg

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
That is one superb looking bike :smile: - good work!

bauldbairn

AndyCarolan said:
That is one superb looking bike :laugh: - good work!

+1, :sad:.

That is one very trick looking bike. :smile:

Whatever happened to the good old British Cycle manufacturers? Same as the car industry/manufacturing and engineering, probably. :smile:

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

threebikesmcginty said:
Beautiful bike, really nice job you've done there.

It's my size too, so a crisp fiver waiting for you when you've had enough of it!!!!

Mmmm.... it cost many crisp (and hard earned) fivers to get this bike where it is now! Could be a long wait!:smile:

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

bauldbairn said:
+1, :laugh:.

That is one very trick looking bike. :smile:

Whatever happened to the good old British Cycle manufacturers? Same as the car industry/manufacturing and engineering, probably. :smile:

We've all gone carbon and titanium... Ive no time for modern stuff. Closest I come to modern is a 1997 Univega mountain bike.

Hetchins is still around in some form, there are one or two artisans who make traditional lugged frames, but the manufacturers of old have all gone. Bit like manufacturing in the UK....

KEEF

Veteran
:smile:Drool drool drool:smile:

stevevw

Guru
This has given me the kick up the bum I needed to get on with the resto on the Franco Italia that I have stripped in the workshop (big shed) waiting to go for chrome, paint and a whole lot of polishing.

This retro bug has bitten hard of late. I did the restoration on the kids two Raliegh's then another on a very early Muddy Fox Roadrunner for the Son inlaw and now I have just bought for myself User's 1984 Raleigh Clubman.

Great bike and I love the colour.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

stevevw said:
This has given me the kick up the bum I needed to get on with the resto on the Franco Italia that I have stripped in the workshop (big shed) waiting to go for chrome, paint and a whole lot of polishing.

This retro bug has bitten hard of late. I did the restoration on the kids two Raliegh's then another on a very early Muddy Fox Roadrunner for the Son inlaw and now I have just bought for myself User's 1984 Raleigh Clubman.

Retro is the new cool! Alway has been in my house!

The colour looks particularly striking on a bright sunny day, although not the most durable of paint finishes though.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

stevevw said:

Go for it!

Top Bottom