1970s Sun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
No not holidays in Benidorm, but a rather nice frame I've recently acquired. Dating sometime around 1972. This appears to be one of the better Sun frames, carries frame number with a J prefix. I intend to build this up into a usable machine of the period with a few choice parts I have knocking around. I need to secure some wheels later on but for now Im just mulling over what to do... I'll be keeping it as a simple 5-speed machine. Frame is finished in a lovely flam burnt orange with flamboyant green contrasts. Still has a lot of the original decals, frame has Carlton lugs with chromed forks tips and headstock and typical seat tube wrap over stays. Very like the Carlton International of the time. I've repacked the BB shell with fresh grease and currently trying out parts on it. The brakes on the machine at the moment are a first generation set of Weinmann 999s, a bit earlier than the frame, but look the part. Saddle will be a Brooks B5N or similar, rear mech will be a Huret Svelto I have in store... More soon.

P5290426_zpse1346086.jpg

P5290423_zps0c30622b.jpg

P5290424_zps67285f02.jpg

P5290425_zps5aea4364.jpg

Im not sure what model this would be, any ideas would be nice. The frame is 21" and is certainly a lot better than the bargain basement frames in the 70s Sun were associated with.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
spokesman another very nice looking bike with a glorious colour scheme

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Dating sometime around 1972.

Im not sure what model this would be, any ideas would be nice. The frame is 21" and is certainly a lot better than the bargain basement frames in the 70s Sun were associated with.

Are you certain, that this is a 70s frame ?

I'm surprised that a 1970s frame would have an oil port above the bottom bracket and no rear derailleur hanger . . . surely, such features suggest a bike that would be at least 10 years older ? (IMO)

Looks a nice fame . . . a good find !

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Are you certain, that this is a 70s frame ?

I'm surprised that a 1970s frame would have an oil port above the bottom bracket and no rear derailleur hanger . . . surely, such features suggest a bike that would be at least 10 years older ? (IMO)

Looks a nice fame . . . a good find !

Well yes thats what Ive been in thinking, however, it's been said the frame could be 10 years older...

Its seems the better Sun frames used a letter prefix, like Carlton.

This one has a 'J' which would mean the frame was mid 60s instead... if you use Carlton prefix lettering. It gets a little confused since Sun frames used the prefix only when they were taken over by Carlton in 60/61 and the frames were built at Worksop instead of Birmingham, which would mean this frame was about '72...

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Some pictures of some progress. Cant make my mind up whether to use a old Huret of Campag Nuovo Gran Sport I have kicking around...

Just trying out bits for now...

P5310429_zps96657aa7.jpg

P5310430_zps62920110.jpg

P5310432_zps9f0dcac2.jpg

P5310433_zps57a7426a.jpg

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Lovely Bike, I had a Sun Snipe which I bought in 1963 and your frame looks identical to me. The colour I believe was known as 'flamboyant tangerine'. Mine had black panels and the front fork was not chromed. When bought it was fitted with Benelux 5 speed gears & Weinmann Cappella Brakes, I am still using the Brooks B17 that came with the bike. The cost, according to my diary was £16/19/6d.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Lovely Bike, I had a Sun Snipe which I bought in 1963 and your frame looks identical to me. The colour I believe was known as 'flamboyant tangerine'. Mine had black panels and the front fork was not chromed. When bought it was fitted with Benelux 5 speed gears & Weinmann Cappella Brakes, I am still using the Brooks B17 that came with the bike. The cost, according to my diary was £16/19/6d.

Many thanks for the help on this. Some have dated the frame 10 years younger, due to the frame numbering...

I'm starting to believe the frame is a much older propostion, very much inline with what you have told me.

SWSteve

Guru
Re: worksop - is it possible someone saw this and then fitted it to the bike, thus giving the difference in possible ages when compared to the frame number?

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Re: worksop - is it possible someone saw this and then fitted it to the bike, thus giving the difference in possible ages when compared to the frame number?
Possible, seems a bit far to go to pass off the frame as soemthing earlier. Ive been doing a bit of pictorial research on the web, and it seems the frame is pretty much in line with other examples of a 60s Snipe I can find out there...

Top Bottom