1971 Carlton Continental restoration project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I do like those green mudguards. I took the black/dark grey ones off my Dad's BSA before it was sent to The Bike Station, so I do have something similar at least, albeit not the same colour.

I suppose that if push came to shove they could be stripped down and repainted if anyone is really stuck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
The mudguards are Bluemels Sprint Veloce. They are very hard to get hold of these days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

A day off today meant I was able to get on with sorting the stuck cotter on the drive side. This turned out to be really jammed tight and I mean tight, bigger hammers and drifts made no impact. In the end I resorted to cutting what was left of the threaded shank off and then drilling out the inner part. After much swearing, drilling and banging the remains of the cotter finally dropped out. Whilst taking break from the cursing I was able to get on with degreasing, cleaning and giving many the components an initial polishing. The grime on the machine has protected the items quite well. I'm very pleased with the Svelto rear mech and the Weinmann 730s.

The Wrights W3N saddle is responding well to daily doses of Proofide and the frame has had an initial degrease and wipe down. I'll give it a light application of T-cut in places.

I'm fitting new cables, brake blocks, outer cables where needed and a new front mudflap. Ive decided to replace the headset collar nut and front lamp bracket as these were quite pitted.

Still much to do but the machine is looking better for it. More soon.

P4021316_zpsrbfdi2ie.jpg

The source of much swearing...

P4021312_zpszjrgeayz.jpg

P4021306_zpsyopl5jfw.jpg

P4021301_zpsswmb2jwf.jpg

P4021296_zps460qzgcp.jpg

P4021321_zpsic52jhaz.jpg

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Made a little progress today, refitted forks with new grease, fitted rear mech and sorted some new ribbed cable. Fitted new mud flap after cutting the old cracked one away. Made a start on degreasing and cleaning the rat trap pedals. One minor problem is the BB spindle, after regreasing and fitting I find the new chainwheel won't fit on, so Ive ordered a 138mm BB spindle to give the extra space/clearance I need. Made a start on degreasing the large flange Normandy hubs. Still waiting for a few spares to arrive. Apart from toe clips, a Carradice Barley saddle bag, everything else will be as it was on this bike when it first left Worksop back in 1973.

P4031332_zpsfktdvuc6.jpg

P4031333_zpshkcfqdo9.jpg

P4031336_zpsyhzwhaae.jpg

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Out all day yesterday meant no work on the Continental. This morning Ive been mostly tidying the old rat trap pedals. These things always get a beating... Ive fitted new Christophe white leather straps and medium MKS toe clips. Im waiting for a few more bits to arrive yet, so far accessories and new parts have nearly come to £90. Ive refitted the front mud guard now and also treated the the machine to one of my favourite Velo Orange ping bells.

P4051484_zpsda2jyyrj.jpg

P4051485_zpsdrnu5rjd.jpg

P4051486_zpscmb11mha.jpg

P4051488_zpsjmnh4env.jpg

P4051489_zpsrbyz0rrd.jpg

Fun with wheels next...
P4051491_zps80bys9cc.jpg

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I'll need to see what my Dad's are, they are quite similar looking..... Which means they will be something else entirely! :rolleyes::laugh:

I went out, cleaned all the (cira 20 year old) crud off them and found no lettering, other than Stumley Archer written on the rear reflector.

I also found out they are black, not grey!! :laugh:

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Haven't been able to do much today due to other pressing matters. Ive fitted the new 138mm BB spindle and this works fine and gives me the clearance I need for the back of the chainwheel from the fixed BB shell cup and also the space required between the teeth and the RHS bottom stay. Fitted a NOS lamp bracket and also loosely screwed on a new NOS threaded lock collar on the steering head. Once the rear wheel is restored I can build the bike up and bring it inside the house for final fitting out.

P4081565_zpsi52ufp1n.jpg

P4081566_zpssvxhyesj.jpg

P4081567_zpsy4ogvrfl.jpg

P4081568_zpscpb1alwz.jpg

P4081569_zps2yfgor48.jpg

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

This is just about finished now. Hopefully Ill get a chance to give it a test ride on the weekend to iron out any small problems.

I took a few quick images last night after finishing the build and fitting bar tape etc. This is as near as I can get this bike to the original spec it was back in 73. You can see why these bike sold easily in the 70s. Carlton knew how o build a classy machine - even an entry level machine such as this.

P4141667_zpsneynouzz.jpg

P4141664_zpsjwcce9ae.jpg

P4141663_zpslniikyai.jpg

Paint is all original, there are some marks/patina!
P4141660_zpsb6nh7otj.jpg

P4141657_zpszeqb0l6c.jpg

P4141649_zpsung1nojg.jpg

P4141641_zpshlaq6bde.jpg

P4141635_zpscj7pfm2m.jpg

P4141634_zpsqwourr9q.jpg

P4141617_zpsxvq0xcj6.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Lovely job :becool: I would have been tempted to try and get a double clanger on the front, not original to that particular bike but there was a 10 speed version and the cable stop is there. (my knees are no longer 73 spec and I won't get them rebuilt) :whistle:

Top Bottom