1971 Carlton Continental restoration project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Lovely job :becool: I would have been tempted to try and get a double clanger on the front, not original to that particular bike but there was a 10 speed version and the cable stop is there. (my knees are no longer 73 spec and I won't get them rebuilt) :whistle:
This model never came with 10-speed, but yes, the brazings are there. I really wanted to keep this as original as possible though.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Great job, looks fantastic!

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

First time out for a test ride today, a few minor tweaks required but this old machine felt smooth and assured. This is the exact copy of my first proper bike back in 1976. The total build including parts, collection, fuel and the bike has cost just over £300.

P4181816_zps6pvpvphy.jpg

P4181817_zpscnganbph.jpg

P4181822_zpsk34esbzf.jpg

Attachments

• P4181816_zps6pvpvphy.jpg
    P4181816_zps6pvpvphy.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 49

Drago

Legendary Member
Looks fantastic.

Some De-Ox gel painted on to the rust on those stays will remove the rust without damaging the paint, and just rinses and wipes off.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Lovely job :becool: I would have been tempted to try and get a double clanger on the front, not original to that particular bike but there was a 10 speed version and the cable stop is there. (my knees are no longer 73 spec and I won't get them rebuilt) :whistle:

There wasn't a 10-speed version of this iteration of the Continental as far as Im aware.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Absolutely mint, it's all in the details, ribbed cables I suspect? C bolts, hoods, the not opting to go ten speed is what stands out for me, brilliant!

Thanks for the comments. The Continental of the 70s was never offered as a 10-speeder. I really wanted to keep tis as original to spec as possible.

Top Bottom