1978 Raleigh Medale; cosmetic work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mile195

Veteran
Hi all
Like the rest of the nation, people round my way are clearing out homes and garages and I’ve acquired this little number from the side of the street.
Mechanically I’m already on top of what needs doing. However, I’ve never really worked on the cosmetics of a bike or vehicle. Unpainted parts are easy (foil rubbing/autosol). But I don’t know what to do with the rest.
It has plenty of marks and scratches consistent with four decades of use. However isn’t in too bad a condition generally.
I am concentened though about very corroded areas getting worse and more paint coming off. Bottom bracket is paticularly bad, as is the right chainstay. I think I’d prefer to preserve and enhance what’s there rather than try to restore to “as-new” condition.
Any ideas and tips on what you might do and how to proceed with the paintwork would be greatly appreciated!
Also if anyone knows where I can acquire some of this old fashioned Cotton bar tape that’d be great too.

Gunk

Guru
I restore a lot of these bikes and that’s in pretty good condition, the frame I would just degrease it with WD40. I use soap and water to then wash it all off. Once clean use cutting polish to get some shine back and some fine wet and dry to just cut back the rusty areas. The rust can just be wiped over with oil. Personally I like to keep the patina.

The rusty chrome will usually respond to coarse wire wool and WD40 and the tarnished alloy again I clean with WD40 but fine wire wool.

This one I’ve just finished was in similar condition to yours.

D8DB5577-BE91-418E-B6C6-44A89D9694E8.jpeg

7440E72C-2CAE-4BBC-985D-FA4FAFDC1E8B.jpeg

E9183513-59A7-40AD-BFB6-013E21919E7B.jpeg

B20411FF-2F08-4916-BFCC-EE56710F41FC.jpeg

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hi all
Like the rest of the nation, people round my way are clearing out homes and garages and I’ve acquired this little number from the side of the street.
Mechanically I’m already on top of what needs doing. However, I’ve never really worked on the cosmetics of a bike or vehicle. Unpainted parts are easy (foil rubbing/autosol). But I don’t know what to do with the rest.
It has plenty of marks and scratches consistent with four decades of use. However isn’t in too bad a condition generally.
I am concentened though about very corroded areas getting worse and more paint coming off. Bottom bracket is paticularly bad, as is the right chainstay. I think I’d prefer to preserve and enhance what’s there rather than try to restore to “as-new” condition.
Any ideas and tips on what you might do and how to proceed with the paintwork would be greatly appreciated!
Also if anyone knows where I can acquire some of this old fashioned Cotton bar tape that’d be great too.
View attachment 524049

View attachment 524050

View attachment 524051

View attachment 524052

It looks perfectly salvageable with a bit of TLC. As @Gunk suggests above, a good clean up and polish will bring it back to a good finish. A 40 year old bike should look like a 40 year old.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think that will clean up really, really well. Youl'll get that 90% of the way to showroom condition without having to lose any originality. Nice find.

OP
OP
Mile195

Mile195

Veteran
Thanks all for your replies. Certainly some food for thought. I’ve never used WD40 as a degreaser/cleaner but I will give it a go. I take the points about using wet and dry paper to take off the loose rust. However would you use anything else to protect it further? A lacquer or anything?
I take it by cutting solution you mean like T-Cut? I’ve used this on cars, but what do you do around the transfers? Do you have to carefully work around them? Will t-cut damage them?
re bar tape thanks for the suggestions.
that’s interesting that he ‘74 catalogue says suede. I managed to track down an ‘84 catalogue which also says brown suede. However it also says it has a brown saddle, which mine doesn’t. Im Fairly sure the saddle is original as there’s another Medale on eBay with the same saddle. Is it possible they’ve changed the design between ‘74 andreverted to the original by ‘84?
I suppose ultimately it doesn’t matter but if I’m going for more preservation than restoration it’d be good to have any new parts in the original spec. Especially as I’m probably not cool enough to carry off red tape!
I took a look at the video. Thanks for the link. I’d be interested to know what he dipped the frame in, and what he sprayed on it afterwards. Any hunches?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As @Gunk says your frame is in relatively good condition so would just need the odd spots of rust treating with a remover or even vinegar and fine wire wool. You could spray it with a clear varnish afterwards as monkeyshred did in the video. The rest of it just needs a good clean.

Top Bottom