1979 Chinetti

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlasgowAli

Hi all,
I picked this up yesterday from a guy in Edinburgh via Gumtree which I though might be of interest.
He bought it in Rotterdam in 1979, rode it for a year and put it into storage. It seems to have had very little use and is in great condition. The only casualty of the years in storage was the bar tape.
I can't find too much online about Chinetti. The tubing is Columbus, though I'm not sure what specific grade from the decal. It has the crowd-splitting 600 EX Arabesque groupset, though with Campag shifters. Not everyones cup of tea I know (especially on an Italian frame), but I quite like the mad look of it. Elsewhere it's built with 600 headset, 3T bar / stem, Selle Italia Sprint saddle and 600 EX hubs on Mavic rims. Bit of an international smorgasboard then.
It has the shop address decal on the chainstay (C. van den Berg, Rotterdam). A quick google reveals it still exists, which 41 years later is pretty cool.
Took it for a longish spin yesterday and it rides, shifts and stops beautfully. Just a shame I live in Scotland and it's now November!
I do have one question. There are two patches of some kind of foil on the top tube underneath the braze-ons. Does anyone now what purpose these will have served? It's pretty neatly fitted but I can't imagine it's decorative.
Cheers,
Ali

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very very nice. Shame about the name, makes it sound like a Chinese knock off of an Italian maker. :smile:
Would appear from the name to be a cyclo-cross model. Can't see that foil serving any purpose about from hiding something so I should remove it and see what is underneath.
Tubing is Colombus Trampo 3? Don't know where that fits in the range. Bike looks to be around 70s.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GlasgowAli

GlasgowAli

Cheers Cycleops.
I did wonder that about the CX model name. I had thought that there doesn't seem to be enough clearance between the back tyre and seattube for it to be a cyclo-cross model, though I don't know how CX frames were generally designed back in the late 70's.
Ha, see what you mean on the Chinetti name ^_^

Last edited:
OP
OP
GlasgowAli

GlasgowAli

Looks like it is a Rotterdam based Dutch brand: giving your bikes an Italian sounding name was very common among Ditch and Belgian firms in the 1970s.

May need a google translate but the main info is clear enough.

https://stalenfiets.wordpress.com/2018/07/18/chinetti-professional-single-speed-80s/
Thanks Balkan! Great find. Nice to see they have some pedigree as a brand.

Top Bottom