1980/81 Dawes Galaxy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldbikefan

I wasn't going to buy another bike but this turned up locally on Ebay. I have a thing for Dawes bikes ever since a school mate turned up on one. My five speed Raleigh Nimrod felt very low rent compared to it.

Normally Galaxies go for way above my budget. The auction starting price was £24. I was expecting to get outbid. A week later I was handing over £25 for it. It's in a sorry state with a terminally stuck seatpost. The back wheel and saddle aren't original but everything else seems to be there.

I've stripped it and parts have been refurbished. The seatpost is still soaking in penetrating fluid.

20220718_131315.jpg

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
For £25 you can't really go wrong.
It will probably scrub up quite nicely.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Hopefully the project hasn't sent him insane..

Would be nice to see some progress on this; looks tatty in the original pic but the OP's done a great job on the groupset and I reckon were the rest of the bike restored to that standard (sympathetically without a respray etc) along with some choice new bits (bar tape, saddle, seatpost) it could look great :smile:

OP
OP
Oldbikefan

Oldbikefan

Hopefully the project hasn't sent him insane..

Would be nice to see some progress on this; looks tatty in the original pic but the OP's done a great job on the groupset and I reckon were the rest of the bike restored to that standard (sympathetically without a respray etc) along with some choice new bits (bar tape, saddle, seatpost) it could look great :smile:
It did very nearly drive me mad. Seatpost almost had me abandoning the bike. Ended up dissolving it with caustic soda. Something I was trying to avoid because it ruins the paint and isn't exactly eco friendly. I found Ford Mexico Brown is a good match so I was able to touch the damaged paint up. It looks okay from 20 feet. I made some progress but had to put it on hold at the moment until the weather gets better.

Attachments

• 20220918_170117.jpg
    20220918_170117.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220911_132516.jpg
    20220911_132516.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220911_170038.jpg
    20220911_170038.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220925_152610.jpg
    20220925_152610.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 39

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It did very nearly drive me mad. Seatpost almost had me abandoning the bike. Ended up dissolving it with caustic soda. Something I was trying to avoid because it ruins the paint and isn't exactly eco friendly. I found Ford Mexico Brown is a good match so I was able to touch the damaged paint up. It looks okay from 20 feet. I made some progress but had to put it on hold at the moment until the weather gets better.

Crikey - that looks serious! Well done for getting it out though. Worth considering getting the frame professionally refinished depending on how it turns out / rides..?

Top Bottom