1980/81 Dawes Galaxy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Easiest method to remove a stuck seat post is to dribble penetrating oil down the post, leave it overnight and then turn the frame upside down, put the post in a vice and use the frame for leverage, this method has never failed to remove the post.

OP
OP
Oldbikefan

Oldbikefan

Easiest method to remove a stuck seat post is to dribble penetrating oil down the post, leave it overnight and then turn the frame upside down, put the post in a vice and use the frame for leverage, this method has never failed to remove the post.

It was soaking upside-down for two weeks. Didn't budge I was in danger of bending the frame. Might have worked if an oversize long post hadn't been rammed in with no grease.

OP
OP
Oldbikefan

Oldbikefan

Apart from a saddle change and shakedown ride it's finished at last.
20230321_163638.jpg

OP
OP
Oldbikefan

Oldbikefan

I couldn't get the Dawes to shift properly. Found out the rear derailleur hanger was bent. Took it to a local bike mechanic who straightened it.
I've changed the saddle, replaced the plastic cable clips with period correct stainless steel ones. Fitted a new tan wall tyre. I think that's it finished now. I've taken it for a short test ride it seems okay, although I haven't ridden drop bars and down tube shifters for 40 years. I'm not sure about them but hopefully I'll get use to them.

Attachments

• 20230423_145900.jpg
    20230423_145900.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 13

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Needs a brooks saddle!!

🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿

Not during my ownership

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nice bike,
I had one of those saddles on my 1987 Galaxy, and I found it very comfortable.
What is the name/maker of the saddle ? I can't make it out from the pic.
Just in case I can find another.

Not really had a close look yet as it only arrived yesterday.
Will have a look and let you know

OP
OP
Oldbikefan

Oldbikefan

Had a fairly decent ride on the Galaxy yesterday. As I said earlier I haven't ridden a bike with drops, non indexed gears and down tube shifters for since a teenager! Soon got use to it and the bike rode superbly. It felt light and responsive, shifting was smooth. It was a joy to ride.
I was worried about it being too big and not finding it comfortable but it wasn't a problem. It's definitely a keeper.

Attachments

• 20230526_125208.jpg
    20230526_125208.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230526_131038.jpg
    20230526_131038.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230526_130713.jpg
    20230526_130713.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Had a fairly decent ride on the Galaxy yesterday. As I said earlier I haven't ridden a bike with drops, non indexed gears and down tube shifters for since a teenager! Soon got use to it and the bike rode superbly. It felt light and responsive, shifting was smooth. It was a joy to ride.
I was worried about it being too big and not finding it comfortable but it wasn't a problem. It's definitely a keeper.

Excellent :smile:

The frame does look a little large from the saddle position, however maybe you just have a higher upper body to leg ratio.. regardless if you're comfortable that's all that matters.

Always rewarding to make use of / enjoy riding something you've put a lot of time into - good work!

Top Bottom