1980/81 Dawes Galaxy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Oldbikefan

Oldbikefan

Excellent :smile:

The frame does look a little large from the saddle position, however maybe you just have a higher upper body to leg ratio.. regardless if you're comfortable that's all that matters.

Always rewarding to make use of / enjoy riding something you've put a lot of time into - good work!
Yes I'm typical Neanderthal build long body and arms, short legs! It is too big but I can live with it. Going by the period catalogue the smallest frame is 21 inches which would still be a tad too big. My frame is classed as a medium. I guess frame sizing was different in those days.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Yes I'm typical Neanderthal build long body and arms, short legs! It is too big but I can live with it. Going by the period catalogue the smallest frame is 21.5 inches which would still be a tad too big. My frame is classed as a medium. I guess frame sizing was different in those days.

lol - I'm the opposite and that's a pain in the arse.. at least this seems to have worked for you :smile:

If you've not already been down the bike-fit rabbithole, measuring reach and stack at the stem and then bars is a decent way of gauging / comparing fit without having to rely on misleading and inconsistant quoted values; which basically mean nowt... Especially on more modern bikes with compact geometry and sloping top tubes; where the seatpost tube length can be independent of actual frame size.

If you do find reach is too long you could always fit a shorter stem / shorter-reach bars...

OP
OP
Oldbikefan

Oldbikefan

lol - I'm the opposite and that's a pain in the arse.. at least this seems to have worked for you :smile:

If you've not already been down the bike-fit rabbithole, measuring reach and stack at the stem and then bars is a decent way of gauging / comparing fit without having to rely on misleading and inconsistant quoted values; which basically mean nowt... Especially on more modern bikes with compact geometry and sloping top tubes; where the seatpost tube length can be independent of actual frame size.

If you do find reach is too long you could always fit a shorter stem / shorter-reach bars...

It's a bit of a minefield. If you go by my height I should be riding a 54cm to 58cm frame. If you go by my inside leg measurement I should be riding a 48cm to 52cm frame!

The Dawes is 59cm. As far as upper body and reach the top tube is spot on.

So in conclusion I'm just going to ride it and try not to fall off!

OP
OP
Oldbikefan

Oldbikefan

Possible solution to the large frame problem. Not a Dawes but still 531 including the forks.

Attachments

• 20230728_191724.jpg
    20230728_191724.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
Oldbikefan

Oldbikefan

I was hoping I could save the paint but it's too far gone so a trip to the powder coaters is in order. Not too upset as I wasn't keen on the white. The Earnie Clements decals might be an issue.
It's odd how sizing has changed 21"/53cm in old money is small now it's a medium.
I might start a new thread for this seeing as it's not a Dawes.

Attachments

• 20230728_191743(0).jpg
    20230728_191743(0).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230728_191749.jpg
    20230728_191749.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom