1980's Schwinn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
So as some of you may know, I'm in the US for a couple of months. I couldn't go that long without a bike, so I picked up a 1980's Schwinn off craigslist (very American!). The seller thought it was a Varsity, although the 3 piece square taper chainset was never standard on the Varsity, so I've got no clue what model it is. The wheels have both been replaced with modern alloy wheels which are much lighter.

3F13sa3q35L45r85J3d6nd121ccc0e5b61c47.jpg

I picked it up for $100 USD, which is fairly cheap in this university city market which often sees low end classic bikes going for $200+. When I went to pick it up the rear wheel had a noticeable amount of play, so the seller kindly threw in a free rear wheel which was in great condition, as well as a new cable set.

Now I had the issue of working on the bike. The bike needed the standard bearing and cable work done, but I had no tools with me. Luckily I found a non-profit bicycle project in town who will let you use their fully equipped work-shop for only $8 an hour. It's a great little place, with helpful staff and a mountain of new and used spare parts in the back room at reasonable prices.

Here's the finished bike, photos taken on my 25 mile ride in to town today.

20130628_121301.jpg

20130628_121309.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@HovR nice bike and sounds like fun to ride are you going to bring it home with you ?

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
@HovR nice bike and sounds like fun to ride are you going to bring it home with you ?

Sadly not, as United want $150 dollars for flying with a bike! I'm either going to see if I can leave it with a friend here for next time I visit, or sell it on.

raindog

er.....
The original saddle looks as if it could do some damage! ^_^
I like the look of the one you've replaced it with - what is it?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I bought a new Cannondale back from the USA, stuck it in a box and called it luggage, didn't cost any extra, that was about 20 years ago so it could be different these days I guess. The nice customs man here didn't charge me any VAT or tax on it either, think he took a shine to me. :girl:

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
The original saddle looks as if it could do some damage! ^_^
I like the look of the one you've replaced it with - what is it?

It's the Charge Spoon off my Peugeot commuter back in England. :smile:

I bought a new Cannondale back from the USA, stuck it in a box and called it luggage, didn't cost any extra, that was about 20 years ago so it could be different these days I guess. The nice customs man here didn't charge me any VAT or tax on it either, think he took a shine to me. :girl:

I could try shipping it as luggage, however even fully stripped down (forks and all) it won't fit in a box of the right dimensions, making it outsized baggage for which they charge you (you guessed it) another $150.

Besides, I'm not sure I need 4 classic bikes back home. :rolleyes:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Nice bike. You have done a lovely job of sorting it out.
My uncle had a Schwinn, which he brought home from the USA in the 1970s or so. I think that you were allowed bigger luggage in those days. He used to let us ride it round the garden, which was interesting as he was 6' odd and we were kids :laugh: It was a big bike!

Do you like the Charge Spoon. OH is toying with the idea of one.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like a nice bike. I would think it may be a bit older than 1980's judging by the stem mounted shifters , not that I'm an expert. I also have a Schwinn which I am fairly certain is early eighties, also bought for $100 down here.

P1030358Schwinnpic.JPG

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
Looks like a nice bike. I would think it may be a bit older than 1980's judging by the stem mounted shifters , not that I'm an expert. I also have a Schwinn which I am fairly certain is early eighties, also bought for $100 down here.

I believe that whilst DT shifters were the standard for older bikes, stem shifters were a slightly more modern option? I could be wrong though, I don't know much about American bikes! Nice bike, looks to have some nice modern parts - bet it rides well. :smile:

Do you like the Charge Spoon. OH is toying with the idea of one.

Yup, I'm happy with mine. In fact I brought mine off my Peugeot over to the US so I didn't have to buy a new one. I'd say go for it, they're only around £20, and if your OH isn't happy with it they tend to sell on easily for a decent price.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
On American Schwinn bikes, stem shifters indicate lower range, downtube shifters often appeared on the upper range. Cycleops got a good year for the Traveler, with downtube shifters and maybe True Temper steel . Some of the later 80's Schwinns, Peloton, Premis, Passage, Voyageur, were made with Columbus Steel. A variant called Tenax. These bicycles gave a very nice ride, and were extremely light.for a Schwinn. Try this http://www.trfindley.com/pg_schwinn_cats.htm and see if you cannot find it there. I'd guess we are looking at a Traveler or a Sprint from late 70's early 80's, or maybe a World Sport. Nice bikes all, well within the pocket book of the common man.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It is indeed cro-mo True Temper GA. It has had very little use and is a very nice bike to ride, although not as light as my 531 framed Dawes.

20130701_102506-1resize.jpg

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
I decided that the seatpost wasn't quite long enough for me, so I took it out and looked at the size stamped on it - 25.7mm, a size that is no longer in production!

I ordered a 25.6 online which clamped in to the frame fine and doesn't slip at all - It's a bit of a bodge, but oh well. Problem solved for $9. ^_^

Top Bottom