1981? Shogun with dura ace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has anyone ever run across a shogun equipped with dura ace shifters brakes and crank with a 600 deer head rear derailer? I believe it's from 1981 it has the one inch pedals

Attachments

• IMG_0781.JPG
    IMG_0781.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0782.JPG
    IMG_0782.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0783.JPG
    IMG_0783.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0784.JPG
    IMG_0784.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0785.JPG
    IMG_0785.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0786.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0788.JPG
    IMG_0788.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0789.JPG
    IMG_0789.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0790.JPG
    IMG_0790.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 32

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Welcome @Charles Bronson
ooh very nice apart from those 1" pedal threads :sad:
Might be worth moving to vintage & classic section

OP
OP
C
This shogun is a great bike. I've been ridding it for a couple of years , this bike is almost 40 years old and the dura ace set still works awesome. I recently had the chain go into the spokes on the rear,but it was my fault I replaced a broken spoke and didn't check the low limit screw.

OP
OP
C
The one inch pedals are a work of art, they are directional,they had clips on them,so in order to make sure they are always right side up they don't turn freely until you put your weight on them. When I first got the bike I thought the bearings were shot so I took them apart. Upon inspection they were fine all 14 of them per pedal,it wasn't until I reassembled them that I figured out they are spring loaded and won't turn freely without a load on them,very trick for 1981 cool even by today's standards.

OP
OP
C
This bike must have been something a little bit special back in the early eighties, but I can't find any shoguns equipped like this one, it has the tange plain gauge steel tubing , lucky for me because I am well over 250 lbs, and I have ridden this bike hard for well over 2 years. Can any one tell me any thing about this shogun? Did they come from the factory with dura ace? Was it upgraded? I have had so many great rides on this bike I would love it if anyone could tell me anything about its history, thank you.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I am not aware of any website that give any details about Shogun's .
I would think that the Dura ace was original equipment .
Just keep enjoying it .

avecReynolds531

Veteran
That looks to be a good frame. Nicely painted too with the lining on the top tube.

Tange Champion is a quality steel - with no. 1 the best.
This is no. 5 and the P.G. might mean plain guage. I'm a fan of Japanese steel, and their frames.

From the little I could find out, Shogun at that time, were Japanese made frames for an American importer/ company.

There are two threads with info here: https://forums.roadbikereview.com/retro-classic/shogun-bicycles-197655.html
https://forums.roadbikereview.com/retro-classic/1990-shogun-ninja-158256.html

There's also another Shogun here (with info) on the CC forum. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/shogun-trail-spirit-probable-1996.227746/page-2

It's a nice find. Enjoy the bike.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's Japanese and any over here have been specifically imported. The decent groupset is probably because it'll be cheaper in Japan.

The groupset is worth more than the bike!

OP
OP
C
Thanks for the info. I could never bring myself to part out such a nice bike. I'd just love to know its story, how could a bike this nice end up at the Salvation Army thrift store? I'm in California maybe it belonged to the guy that imported them. Well thanks again for the info, you guys are great.

Top Bottom