Shogun Trail Spirit - probable 1996

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
It's a good machine to learn about refinishing bicycles on, though, and although 700c wheels may not fit, it's good for trying out some techniques. I used an old Sears Ted Williams 10 speed road bike as my subject when I was first learning to refurbish bicycles, as i got it for about 20 USD and that's about what it was worth. But it taught me what would work, and what would not, with bicycle refurbishing, and what people would pay for a good, well finished product. Now I volunteer at a bike co-op, much less monetary risks, and a lot more bicycles, none of which I had to pay for, and many of which I get to work on.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Agreed, getting hold of a relatively humble steed for your first restoration or renovation project is definitely the best way forward, much less stress if anything goes wrong.

Don't know if it's just me, but I sometimes develop a bizarre emotional attachment to bikes (and other stuff) that I'm repairing, and feel some weird obligation to get them "happy" and working again... that's quite enough without worrying about bending an irreplaceable derailleur etc etc

Should do up into a nice ride and looks like a fun project. I'd be interested to hear how you get on stripping the paint off the frame and clear coating, I've a bit of a hankering to try this myself one day on a 90s steel frame MTB.

OP
OP
Red Lantern

Red Lantern

Cycleops - good morning! Yes, aware of that from previous experiments on other frames and plan to put different brakes on. I have an old set of Diacompe side pulls that will clean up nicely and do the job! Just means the lugs on forks will look a bit empty and horrible but will just leave them in situ. My plans should work OK...tho' famous last words...

OP
OP
Red Lantern

Red Lantern

Gravity Aided - gidday! Yes, playing around with old discarded bikes is a great learning tool. I find dismantling them (most have ended up as metal re-cycling) has just been invaluable for seeing how all variety of bits and bobs really work and fit together and trying to get a useable bike from junk is quite satisfying once it fianlly comes together! A had one quite tall lady (5' 11" maybe) who as a horsewoman wanted to be very up right on a bike and we went through 5 or six incarnations of frames, gears, handlebar set ups till fianlly got something she felt OK to learn on! We had lotsa laughs and fun along the way so it was a nice journey!

OP
OP
Red Lantern

Red Lantern

Chris - gidday also! Will post re progress along the way, went to get paint stripper yesterday but could not get the sort I wanted, don't want a caustic one, so will try again today. Below is a revamp of a discarded Shogun Metro SE frame - new wheels (fitted with 40 tyres - go anywhere!), new cassette, chain, chain ring, Nitto bars, new brake levers and some old friction shifters. Nice lighter frame and she rolls along nicley but the frame is just a smidge too big. So most of this build will now go on to the Spirit. I am retired now so all is done as cheaply as possible. Any new parts always on special and often this has meant not what I really would have liked but reasonable for the purpose, and use what old parts I can.
IMG_0415.JPG
IMG_0416.JPG

Top Bottom