Shogun Trail Spirit - probable 1996

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red Lantern

Hi Folks!
Trying to find any info on this Shogun that I purchased at the local recycling yard. Internet searches draw a blank.
My guess is that it is from 1996 by derailleur code and frame number but I can't find any evidence of this model name anywhere.
Is a rigid frame 26 inch wheel with 21 speed. Nothing fancy in terms of its specs. The frame is very solid and a bit heavyish. On one chainstay it has "Designed in Australia" so I wonder if it is another model re-badged for OZ market?? Maybe it was a kids bike??
About to strip it back and re-make with bits from other bikes as it is a nice small frame for me but just curious that I can't even find any mention of a "Trail Spirit" which is what it clearly says on top tube.
Thanks,
RL

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum. Interesting bike. Components? What tubing is it? I’m guessing it’s cro-mo. We really need pics, you might not be able to upload until you have a few more posts in which case put up a link to a photo sharing site.
Apparently they were a Japanese brand but production was moved to Taiwan in the early nineties or so. They were quality bikes which included road models. They were still supplying the Australian market to around the turn of the century which explains the Designed in Australia bit. Gumtree Australia reveals quite a lot of Shogun MTBs. The brand still exists today but it’s a British company who have them made, don’t know when they took over the name but they now offer full susser BSOs by the look of it.

Last edited:
Hi Folks!
Trying to find any info on this Shogun that I purchased at the local recycling yard. Internet searches draw a blank.
My guess is that it is from 1996 by derailleur code and frame number but I can't find any evidence of this model name anywhere.
Is a rigid frame 26 inch wheel with 21 speed. Nothing fancy in terms of its specs. The frame is very solid and a bit heavyish. On one chainstay it has "Designed in Australia" so I wonder if it is another model re-badged for OZ market?? Maybe it was a kids bike??
About to strip it back and re-make with bits from other bikes as it is a nice small frame for me but just curious that I can't even find any mention of a "Trail Spirit" which is what it clearly says on top tube.
Thanks,
RL
Hi and welcome, :welcome:

Could you post a picture of your bike as it may help in identifying it?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Strange how sometimes even a Google search can't find anything .

I picked up a Shogun ladies bike for the parts that are fitted to it recently which I must get round to doing.

IMG_20171119_131744808.jpg

Here's mine any pictures of your one ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red Lantern

Red Lantern

Thank you for the welcome and interest in above responses! I will take a photo tomorrow and see if it will load, appreciating the limits on new members!
I have begun dismantling but will make a note of components and post these at least if the photo dosen't make it.
Thanks again!
RL

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
These were a step above the basic bikes sold in big box stores in the U.S., usually sold by a sporting goods chain like Dick's, who now have things like Diamondback, IIRC. A solid but basic bicycle.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
These were a step above the basic bikes sold in big box stores in the U.S., usually sold by a sporting goods chain like Dick's, who now have things like Diamondback, IIRC. A solid but basic bicycle.
Was it ‘Dicks’ that sold another Japanese brand Nishiki? I saw one down here not so long ago and nearly bought it, looked like a quality bike.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
If you are median size and have median expectations and a bit of cash, Dicks does seem to have a nice selection.

OP
OP
Red Lantern

Red Lantern

Thanks Gravity Aided! Your comments confirm my thoughts on the bikes origin - quite humble one could say. The Spirit certainly is solid and certainly is basic! I will post her vital statisitics and hopefully photo when I get out into the shed today.
I was part of a program here (Australia) to refurbish donated bikes for women of all ages and backgrounds to get into cycling at no real cost and most of the bikes donated by the public were unfortunately really ones that folks couldn't be bothered taking to the rubbish tip but I did manage to cobble together something from all bits to make a few ridable bikes for use.

OP
OP
Red Lantern

Red Lantern

IMG_0575.JPG
Specs for the Spirit:
Frame: Templite MEGA Tubing, Full 4130 Cro-Mo Main Frame Tubing. Made in China.
Forks: Templite MEGA Tangaloy Rigid Gauge Blades.
FD: labelled Shimano but no model number (triple chainring - 48/38/28)
RD: TY-22
Hubs: Formula FM11
Rims: Sunrims Z-19 (26inch)
Cassette: MF-HG37 (7 speed)
Brakes: C-Star

So a humble beast she is, but will hopefully transform with 700 wheels, nice randonneur handlebars etc etc. First will strip back to bare metal and clear coat for something different! So many fun hours ahead to transform this solid little frame into a nice casual run around!
Above is state of frame as of today, now to see if I can up load this with the pic...
Regards and thanks again for those that responded!
Will post up notable progress and hopefully finished job!
RL

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Strange how sometimes even a Google search can't find anything .

I picked up a Shogun mixte for the parts that are fitted to it recently which I must get round to doing.

View attachment 386466

Here's mine any pictures of your one ?
Is that a mixte? I thought they had twin small diameter top tubes extending from the head to the rear dropouts.:unsure:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you’re planning to put 700c wheels on a frame that was built for 26”dia, you might come unstuck, the Brake blocks won’t line up.

Top Bottom