1983ish Claud Butler Sovereign 531 frame & forks - first outing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
The original British Hub Co rear hub on my ‘63 CB is the same, 5 speed one side and threaded for fixed on the other.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hi

I know this is an old thread but I was hoping to find out if you have any more info on the Sovereign?

I've just bought exactly the same bike, even down to the wolber wheelset with a flip flop hub, but I'm puzzled about the history of it. Apparently the sovereign was only made in 1981 but the frame number suggests 1985?? Also there's no info only that suggests CB ever made the sovereign in red. But both you and I have one??
Any info you have would be great as I want to refurbish the bike but wat to be sure it's authentic.
Picture is of my bike as it is now.
The decals are wrong for a 1985 bike. For that year they'd gone to black lettering with a gold outline. If it is a 1985 machine then I'm fairly certain that's had a refinish at some time.

It does indeed look like a CB, but it has more of a late 70's/early 80's look to my eye. The frame numbers can be a little ambiguous during the later Holdsworthy era, so I'd be looking for date codes on components for corroboration. 1981 does seem more plausible to me.

Top Bottom