1985 Holdsworth Avanti 501

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I won this bike on a well known site. I thought that I would collect it as it would save quite a bit on postage and it would be a nice trip out.
I contacted the seller and arranged a time for me to collect it, it was only 18 miles and it was a nice sunny day. The owner was a nice chap who helped me remove the wheels and load it into my car.
This is how it looked when it arrived . I was particularly taken by the red spotted bar tape, that would definitely have to go! I ordered some red plastic bar tape which has now arrived.
The bike was complete but needed cleaning and servicing, the seat post was seized in, I thought that it wouldn't be too difficult to free off but I was wrong!
First of all I set about stripping the bike down for cleaning. The bottom bracket cups and axle were covered in a lovely reddish brown gunge, there was what I think is a cardboard tube which went over the BB axle. It would seem that water had got in and caused some rusting.
With the frame stripped down I could tackle the seat post. I mounted it in my bike stand, sealed the top of the frame with Plumbers Mate, inverted the frame and poured in a solution of caustic soda down inside the seat tube. Ooh! That bubbled up nicely! I left it bubbling away for several hours before removing the frame and emptying the contents out and flushing it out with water.
I tried moving the post but it was still seized solid. I went on to try vinegar, rust removing solution and electrolysis, pouring an electrolyte and connecting it up to a battery. I got all sorts of coloured gunge coming out but still no movement.
All of this effort into trying to save a SR Laprade aluminium seat post. My intention was to try to keep it original as possible. I didn't know at the time that the seat post is really short and I doubt it would have been sufficient for me.
I eventually came to the conclusion that I would have to cut it out. That was fun! I cut the post near to the frame but left some protruding for gripping. The top was solid. Next came the drilling. The largest drill that I have is about 12mm, with a bit of waggling I could open it out to fit a hacksaw blade. The walls of the post were about 5/16 thick, I was in for a bit of sawing . My intention was to make 2 long cuts so that I could remove a segment and so free the post. I spent most of yesterday sawing slots. I didn't want to damage the frame and it was difficult reaching the bottom of the post with the hacksaw blade. Using small flat screwdrivers, small wood chisel I managed to move the segment a bit but it must have still been attached somewhere. still no movement of the post despite the hammering. I made another cut hoping that that would finally release things. It might have helped as the next blow with the chisel the post dropped down a bit. I was at the point of making things worse by a post disappearing down inside the tube. I managed to drill some small holes and fitted self tapping screws, gripping these with a pair of vice grips I was able to tap the post upwards out of the frame . Relief at last!
Today I cleaned out the frame and rebuilt it, I borrowed a seat and post off another bike, the length of which was several times the length of the one I removed. I was determined to take the bike out for a test ride despite the drizzle. My short ride turned into a 12 mile ride. First impressions are that it rides well, not sure if the tyres are causing some roughness, they are treaded and I usually run smooth tyres, the original ones are perished anyway. The brakes need adjusting but everything else is working fine. Oh the rear wheel needs servicing.

Attachments

• IMGP2921 (2).JPG
    IMGP2921 (2).JPG
    183 KB · Views: 35
  • IMGP2922 (1).JPG
    IMGP2922 (1).JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMGP2924 (1).JPG
    IMGP2924 (1).JPG
    99 KB · Views: 37
  • IMGP2944.JPG
    IMGP2944.JPG
    269.6 KB · Views: 43

goldcoastjon

Takeaway #1 (and #2, #3, #4, #5....) -

ALWAYS use the appropriate variety of anti-seize when installing seat posts.

Failing that, use a good waterproof grease and check your seat post at least yearly for
signs of corrosion or seizing....

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Takeaway #1 (and #2, #3, #4, #5....) -

ALWAYS use the appropriate variety of anti-seize when installing seat posts.

Failing that, use a good waterproof grease and check your seat post at least yearly for
signs of corrosion or seizing....
I should imagine that the post was installed originally dry and over the years water has got in . I don't think the flutes helped much to stop water ingress either. What use they are I don't know as they are only about 2.75 inches long.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Well done. That looks pretty decent. I hope it was cheap to compensate in some way for that barsteward of a seat post.
Looks like it’s spent most of its life on the small chainring.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Well done. That looks pretty decent. I hope it was cheap to compensate in some way for that barsteward of a seat post.
Looks like it’s spent most of its life on the small chainring.
Yes like I was today . 52, 42.
The frame is in pretty good condition with a few small chips which should touch in . The colour is a red mica which sparkles in the sun .
£50 which is far less than the price that the individual components would make if broken down for spares. It won't, it will stay as a complete bike. The saddle cover is torn and I may replace it with chamois leather. I have done that on another saddle and find it surprisingly comfortable, much better than the thin material covering some saddles.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Here are some more pictures, my ride today and seat post and cardboard BB tube. The kink in the tube was caused by where one of the frame tubes projects into the BB. I've never seen that before, they are normally flush fitting.

Attachments

• IMGP2947.JPG
    IMGP2947.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 16

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice to see someone still using toe clips :smile:

Top Bottom