1986 Bianchi Squadra Under an Assumed Identity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Found this at my bike co-op as a beaten down single speed. Now trying to locate Shimano 600 bits for it. But at least the frame is in good shape, it's old enough for even the lugs to be Italian, but new enough for Shimano parts to be specified and fit. A 24" frame, a rarity in itself, among Italian bikes imported to The States. It also still has the derailleur hanger, and the original Universal brakes and Shimano brake levers. The frame is made from Columbus Formula Two tubing. The stem was bent along 2 axes, so I can't really save that. Single speed/fixie components will all go on the Facet Biotour 2000.
squadra-frame-as-recieved.jpg

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Wow, that's a great find and especially as you say in that size. Italians tend to be short with long arms so maybe made for the export market.
Keep us updated with the build.
Out of interest I found a Bianchi down here, came from Germany, steel frame but can't remember tubing. I got rid of it as it was too small.

Screenshot_20190915-114412.png

woodbutcher

Veteran
Found this at my bike co-op as a beaten down single speed. Now trying to locate Shimano 600 bits for it. But at least the frame is in good shape, it's old enough for even the lugs to be Italian, but new enough for Shimano parts to be specified and fit. A 24" frame, a rarity in itself, among Italian bikes imported to The States. It also still has the derailleur hanger, and the original Universal brakes and Shimano brake levers. The frame is made from Columbus Formula Two tubing. The stem was bent along 2 axes, so I can't really save that. Single speed/fixie components will all go on the Facet Biotour 2000.
View attachment 485242
How about this groupset , will ship to USA. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-...020506?hash=item3d9254901a:g:rQ0AAOSwwCJdav7k

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
A bit much for me. First, I will probe the depth of my stash, as I know there is an RD, and some downtube shifters, as well as a crankset and FD on my Trek that I am modernizing. Brakes and an Ofmega headset are already with the bicycle, as they did not need to be changed in the frenzied single speeding that occurred to this bicycle. So I have the 600 tricolor RD, FD, maybe downtube shifters, BB, and brakes and handles, I think I may get there just from my stash alone. All period current to nineteen hunnert and eighty six. If I get some good period wheels for the Falcon, I'll have the whole enchilada. I may eventually try to find an Ofmega crank. We'll have to see when the world turns a few times.

woodbutcher

Veteran
A bit much for me. First, I will probe the depth of my stash, as I know there is an RD, and some downtube shifters, as well as a crankset and FD on my Trek that I am modernizing. Brakes and an Ofmega headset are already with the bicycle, as they did not need to be changed in the frenzied single speeding that occurred to this bicycle. So I have the 600 tricolor RD, FD, maybe downtube shifters, BB, and brakes and handles, I think I may get there just from my stash alone. All period current to nineteen hunnert and eighty six. If I get some good period wheels for the Falcon, I'll have the whole enchilada. I may eventually try to find an Ofmega crank. We'll have to see when the world turns a few times.
Sounds good to me....."everything comes to one who waits" :smile:

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I've removed all the road tar and accessory gummy adhesive(for speedometer mount, it appears) and other paint covering problems, in preparation for clear coat over the not so sturdy or adhesive decals. 0000 steel wool, tack rags,acetone, portable paint booth and clear coat at the ready.

Top Bottom