1987 Raleigh Royal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I thought I would share a few photographs of the bike I bought on Ebay some weeks back.
All componnents were taken off the frame.
Now fully refurbished. All bearings stripped, cleaned, re-greased and adjusted.
It was fully gunked up and nothing really moved. So an extensive clean and polish.
It has cost me a little more than I thought, but new cables, inner and outers, tyres, mudguards and a large bottle of white spirit.
The frame only has a few little chips on it, nothing major.
Every thing now works very well, and as it's a 531st frame, forks and stays it does ride a treat.
From the frame number WK70067, I deduce that it is a Worksop built bike in July 1987.
Now, shall I keep it or sell it 🤔

20220722_131127.jpg

20220722_130940.jpg

20220722_131154.jpg

20220722_131220.jpg

Attachments

• 20220722_134203.jpg
    20220722_134203.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 7

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
That's a lovely looking bike, the colour combo is class.

Bike prices seem to be rock bottom at the moment, so if you have space and the will then I would keep it for now.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Paulus that's a real gem enjoy it

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Nice. Keep it, you'll have a problem finding another in that condition.

My thoughts exactly. I like the colour of that one even more than I like my own Royal, which I regard highly. That's really nice, not too bling, not shouty, just a classy understated colour.
If you own one of these you don't need to shout from the rooftops "look at my bike", you just cruise along knowing it's a good'un, even if nobody else notices it.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
That looks lovely - I have a real soft spot for these late-80s Raleigh tourers :smile:

Personally if keeping it I'd be looking at a brown Brookes saddle and some matching brown bar tape :becool:

Good morning,

I couldn't work out from the picture if it is 6 or 7 speed, if it is 7 speed or it could easily become 7 speed, how about some new Tourney STI brifters?

Of if the frame will take it a new 8 speed Claris groupset, it's cheaper than buying the parts and you can then resell the chainset unused.

..... either way just keep the D/T front shifter. :smile:

I found the move from 6 to 7 and 7 to 8 to be real improvements and I am not a fan of keeping things as the factory made them just for the sake of it. Especially if as seems likely the factory would have used a higher spec such as 7/8/9 if they were making it today.

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom