1987 Raleigh Royal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Good morning,

I couldn't work out from the picture if it is 6 or 7 speed, if it is 7 speed or it could easily become 7 speed, how about some new Tourney STI brifters?

Of if the frame will take it a new 8 speed Claris groupset, it's cheaper than buying the parts and you can then resell the chainset unused.

..... either way just keep the D/T front shifter. :smile:

I found the move from 6 to 7 and 7 to 8 to be real improvements and I am not a fan of keeping things as the factory made them just for the sake of it. Especially if as seems likely the factory would have used a higher spec such as 7/8/9 if they were making it today.

Bye

Ian

It's a 6 speed.

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

I bet it's 130 spacing on the rear

When I'm home I'll measure it.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Ye I'm pretty sure 130 is 9sp. My 87 Randonneur is 126. It was 6sp but I have put 7 on it. One extra washer on the axle and it fits in fine, slightly tighter than without but nothing worth spreading the stays for:smile:

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

Good morning,

I couldn't work out from the picture if it is 6 or 7 speed, if it is 7 speed or it could easily become 7 speed, how about some new Tourney STI brifters?

Of if the frame will take it a new 8 speed Claris groupset, it's cheaper than buying the parts and you can then resell the chainset unused.

..... either way just keep the D/T front shifter. :smile:

I found the move from 6 to 7 and 7 to 8 to be real improvements and I am not a fan of keeping things as the factory made them just for the sake of it. Especially if as seems likely the factory would have used a higher spec such as 7/8/9 if they were making it today.

Bye

Ian

I'm not sure that I would want brifters, but I may go with some aero brake levers to tidy up the washing line cables I have fitted.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I know it's not original but the dt shifters on mine are indexed which work a treat with an Acera derailleur. They came from my OH's 93 Galaxy that I found some 7sp rsx brifters for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

Ye I'm pretty sure 130 is 9sp. My 87 Randonneur is 126. It was 6sp but I have put 7 on it. One extra washer on the axle and it fits in fine, slightly tighter than without but nothing worth spreading the stays for:smile:

Thread 'Shimano 6 speed cassette.' https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/shimano-6-speed-cassette.286112/

Could it be 130 spaced OLN because it's not a screw on freewheel, but a 6 speeds cassette on a freehub. I believe it to be a Shimano Uniglide hub. See my post above.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

Loads of options then if you wanted to explore them

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Interesting, I wonder if the cassette is OE. Mine is the same age and has a Maillard 600 screw hub.
Or maybe mine just missed the change.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Interesting, I wonder if the cassette is OE. Mine is the same age and has a Maillard 600 screw hub.
Or maybe mine just missed the change.

Would be interesting to know when this happened - personally the extra upgrade-ability of the freehub would be a proper bonus.. so am I to assume that 6 and 7 speed cassettes are available for freehubs as well as in freewheel format? I always assumed there was a clear demarcation between 7sp freewheel and 8sp freehub..

D

Deleted member 1258

Would be interesting to know when this happened - personally the extra upgrade-ability of the freehub would be a proper bonus.. so am I to assume that 6 and 7 speed cassettes are available for freehubs as well as in freewheel format? I always assumed there was a clear demarcation between 7sp freewheel and 8sp freehub..

I know both 7 and 8 speed were available in both freewheel and cassette but I'm not sure about 6 speed, I've only ever seen 6 speed as a freewheel, I seem to remember a thread on here that covered the subject sometime back.

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

I know both 7 and 8 speed were available in both freewheel and cassette but I'm not sure about 6 speed, I've only ever seen 6 speed as a freewheel, I seem to remember a thread on here that covered the subject sometime back.

Here is a couple of photos when I was cleaning and replacing the wheel bearings.
20220623_124414.jpg

20220623_124353.jpg

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

I haven'got a clue whether cassette or freewheel, but I'm thinking perhaps its a cassette.

Edit, I've just seen the other thread and its a cassette, the first bike I've seen with a 6 speed cassette.

It's Shimano Uniglide. You need 2 chain whips to remove it as the smallest sprocket unscrews which holds the rest of the cassette in place.
Long since superceeded. I'm not sure you can get the free hubs, or the cassettes anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom