1989 Raleigh Elan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mikeymustard
looking at the other one I'd say it's a little circlip type thing (been wracking my brains trying to think what they're called for hours!)
I've measured the shaft and it seems to be 4.8mm while the cut-out on the head is 7.5mm. The groove that it sits in is too narrow for me to measure with my calipers

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeymustard
My ability to read tech drawings is pretty sketchy but going by this drawing it sounds like I need a 3.2mm e-clip, is that right?

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
My best guess is measure the diameter of the spindle and this is the size you need to order from the first column. The spec gives the range as well. I'm pretty sure the spindle is a standard size but I can't find my calipers.

OP
OP
mikeymustard
I'd work out which was the best guestimate then order that and 1 size bigger and 1 smaller as well, hang the expense. :whistle:
It's that sort of profligacy that got the British bike manufacturing industries into the state it's in today! My engineer turned inventor father in law would turn in his grave if he were alive today. Did Nadiya off of the bakeoff say " I need 3 eggs for this cake, I probably need medium so I'd better buy some large ones and some small ones instead"? ^_^
Okay good idea, by the time I've added VAT and postage on that I could buy a box of mixed anyway!

Top Bottom