1k MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RBT84

I'm looking to get back into mountain biking after a bit of a hiatus after doing some blue/beginner trails on my hybrid. Looking to spend 1k or less and it wont be my main hobby plus I also do a fair amount of road cycling. I'm looking for a fun slackish trail bike as opposed to an xc bike(no 29er's lol), I only want to buy new so will have to be a hardtail most likely, I'm a little out of the loop of what's good now so I'm looking for suggestions please.

Look on Evans and see if they have any GT Zaskar Sport's.
About 800 quid new,and a nice trail worthy bike for notta lotta money .
You get one of the better fork's in the Suntour range(Raidon) and a very durable and reliable group set in Deore.
You might even get a last years model for less .
Quite possibly the model above (the Comp) is on the button for your max budget

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I was in Halfords yesterday and happened to spot the Boardman MTB Comp 27.5, which looks a good bike at the money:
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mountain-bike-comp-27-5
Currently on offer at just under £520, reduced by over £120 so well under your budget. And if you're a British Cycling member you'll get another 10% off that price.

Boardman also do a couple of excellent 29ers within your budget but as you've said you don't fancy a 29er, I'll suggest the very well reviewed Boardman MTB Team FS 27.5 at £949 (less another 10% for BC members) might be worth a look?
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...rdman-mountain-bike-team-full-suspension-27-5

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Look on Evans and see if they have any GT Zaskar Sport's.
About 800 quid new,and a nice trail worthy bike for notta lotta money .
You get one of the better fork's in the Suntour range(Raidon) and a very durable and reliable group set in Deore.
You might even get a last years model for less .
Quite possibly the model above (the Comp) is on the button for your max budget
Always one to have a good drool over a GT so popped over to look at the Zaskar offerings - www.evanscycles.com/gt-zaskar-elite-2017-mountain-bike-EV281689

Now I could be wrong but a 1x11 set-up with a gear of 30 x 11-42 doesn't sound great for XC to me, something with a 36 or 38 chainring should do it (still remember riding 28x28 back in the day and thinking that could climb walls :laugh:)

How come everyone is using this picture of the bike which clearly shows a double chainset...

upload_2016-12-7_12-52-17.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's one reason I went for the 2014 model. Two chain rings. I don't like the big gaps in sprocket ratios.

Jody

Stubborn git
I would wait until late January for some of last years bargains. There are already some cracking deals around.

Out of interest why do you want a slack angle bike if riding blue and beginer trails?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bargains are to be had now or ideally late summer. The 2017 models were out a few months ago.

Most MTB'S now have slacker angles and longer wheelbases. The front wheel on my Boardman feels like it is 10 feet out front to my old Skool MTB

Jody

Stubborn git
But a Zaskar and cube listed up thread dont have a slack front end and are XC bikes which would be perfect for the type of riding the OP is going for but would handle a lot more.

But a Zaskar and cube listed up thread dont have a slack front end and are XC bikes which would be perfect for the type of riding the OP is going for but would handle a lot more.

Well,I kinda looked more towards what the OP was going to be riding,and figured it's pretty much all the bike he really needs,and possibly more.
But tbh I did make an assumption that he would be riding the same trails,but I could be wrong.
In that case I would point him towards the bike I have (Dartmoor Hornet),if he wants a slack long travel trail bike.You could build a pretty decent one up for 1K.

OP
OP
RBT84

RBT84

I would wait until late January for some of last years bargains. There are already some cracking deals around.

Out of interest why do you want a slack angle bike if riding blue and beginer trails?

Sorry I should have been more clear I was riding Blues on my Hybrid I plan on riding more difficult trails with a mtb.

Last edited:
Top Bottom