1st broken chain today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Bimbling along at 25mph towards a hill, upon slowing down to change to small ring I hear a "ping .... Crunch". Lost the chain and had to stop. I carry a spare link but in my haste I managed to drop one half down a drain whilst fishing it out of my saddle bag. DOH!

Cue an humble call to the Missus to pick me up. It had to happen on a great weather day too. Bummer.

Triple whammy then!
The chain, the link then an ignominious lift home :sad:

Payneys

Think I know how you feel - first ever Sportive been looking forward to it for months ..... Don't have a "satnav" for bike didn't download a decent map ...one supplied was totally unclear... Chain came off on every hill / got lost / got puncture ( no inner tube ) .... 38 mile turned into 41 miles ..... So depressed .....What should have been 2 and half hour ride turned into 3hour 50 .... Gutted.

Can't wait for next one when totally more prepared !

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Chain mended, with the assistance of another set of spare links at home. Took the opportunity to soak the chain in "dry" lube. After 30mins outside the lube had hardened into a wax that should be good for lube for a good few miles. Those spare links are a bugger to fit and require a fair amount of "persuading" to fit together. Question is exactly how strong are they compared to the original chain (Shimano 7901)? Or is it recommended to get another new chain?

screenman

Legendary Member
Bimbling along at 25mph, man you should have been in yesterdays national 10. Never had a chain snap on the joining link yet, mind you there is still time as I have only been riding 50 years.

I presume you used one of THESE?

I only use KMC chains and that's how they join anyway and I've never had a problem with them. If your chain is not very old you shouldn't need to change it. Have you got a chain wear tool? If you've any doubt though just change it.

If you don't have a tool but you know you've done a few miles stick a KMC chain on, (don't buy Shimano chains IMO). If your chain is worn it will prematurely wear the rest of your drivetrain too. Then what should have been a £20 chain job becomes a new chain, new chainrings and new cassette job :wacko:

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I presume you used one of THESE?

I only use KMC chains and that's how they join anyway and I've never had a problem with them. If your chain is not very old you shouldn't need to change it. Have you got a chain wear tool? If you've any doubt though just change it.

If you don't have a tool but you know you've done a few miles stick a KMC chain on, (don't buy Shimano chains IMO). If your chain is worn it will prematurely wear the rest of your drivetrain too. Then what should have been a £20 chain job becomes a new chain, new chainrings and new cassette job :wacko:

Exactly that one. The chain is less than 1month old, so I will not replace it for a good while yet.

Top Bottom