1st day of Fixed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I find SPDs work well for me. The only thing I would say is I do find track-standing near-impossible on fixed. I've never mastered standing stock still...always edged forward little by little. But with the fixed, that means your feet pretty soon go off 3 and 9 o'clock, and once they do, it gets a lot more difficult to control. (Never quite managed the reverse-braking either...I rely quite heavily on the front brake, tho' reverse-pedalling (or maybe, retarded pedalling would be more accurate) does contribute.)

Jezston

Über Member
No one has mentioned Eggbeaters; easy 4 sided entry, you can clip in moving the foot forward or backward, solid and predictable retention (unlike the M540's i have also used), no adjustments to worry about, long warranty and self serviceable. I'd recommend them.

Eggbeaters here too, but then I've never tried anything else. Think I want something a bit stiffer for my next bike, less float side to side and more rigid shoes - too much play when pulling up at the mo.

OP
OP
sean8997

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
Got myself a pair of Scott trail shoes today, fitting a set of Shimano M520 pedals tomorrow (swapping from my CycloCross), should be no drama's with them

No one has mentioned Eggbeaters; easy 4 sided entry, you can clip in moving the foot forward or backward, solid and predictable retention (unlike the M540's i have also used), no adjustments to worry about, long warranty and self serviceable. I'd recommend them.

+1 to that.

My MTB and my fixed-gear fixie both have EggBeaters. Wonderful pedal and ideal for the weirdness of needing to clip in quickly, confidently and accurately.

The other benefit (whispered) is that the EggBeater looks slightly funky... and deep inside our souls that is part of the reason why we are drawn to fixolology in the first place.

EggBeaters suffer knackered bearings more than other pedals, but the rest of the package makes it worth the pain and the cost.

Right, here's the thing; I switched from spds to clips and straps partly because they look rather nice but also because it means I can wear any shoes I like. I hate trying to walk around with cleats scraping off the pavement or having to carry another pair of shoes with me or having to put special shoes on to go to the shops etc. etc. However, having had a go at being all fixie today (rolled up a trouser leg too, not being one for half measures) I can see the limitations of my current plan i.e. it's a bugger to get my foot in under the straps. What's the answer?!

Top Bottom