1st day of Fixed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
Had my new steed just under a week now, been riding it single speed until today. Decided it was time to flip the rear wheel and go Fixed! What a weird feeling, trying to remember when coming to junctions, traffic lights etc that I no longer have the freewheel, trying to get my pedal possition in the 3 and 9 o'clock possitions when at a standstill, bit of thinking mans peddling is required. I think its gonna be a bit of a learning experience.
Have found the toe clips pretty much impossable to get my feet under so think I will be investing in a pair of touring type shoes and whack on a set of SPD peddles, any recomendations would be much appreciated.
Once mastered I think this is gonna be a lot of fun!

Cheers Sean

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
sean , i am awaiting mine back from lbs hopefully next weekend then i will be trying to finish before we go away the next wekend , glad you enjoyed it

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Yep - when I went fixed I used SPDs from the start - can't really imagine it any other way. Shimano M520 pedals (£15ish off ebay) and Shimano MT something or other - £45 from my LBS - they were the bottom of the range but they've done over 2,000 miles this winter and great value imo.

colly

Re member eR
I'm new to fixed too Sean. It makes me think ahead even more. I realise too that even with some steep hills all those gears aren't completely necessary. (well so far anyway)

It is a lot of fun.:biggrin:

RedRider

Pulling through
I'm gonna buy a fixed gear for my thus far singlespeed next pay day so interesting to read your experience Sean. The only time I've tried was on a mate's bike five or six years ago and I was bobbing up and down as tho' I was on a Merry-Go-Round horse. I put it down to the bike being hugely too small for me rather than atrocious pedalling technique but I'll find out for sure in a coupla weeks time! (Insert slightly apprehensive/hugely excited smiley.)

D

Deleted member 1258

Had my new steed just under a week now, been riding it single speed until today. Decided it was time to flip the rear wheel and go Fixed! What a weird feeling, trying to remember when coming to junctions, traffic lights etc that I no longer have the freewheel, trying to get my pedal possition in the 3 and 9 o'clock possitions when at a standstill, bit of thinking mans peddling is required. I think its gonna be a bit of a learning experience.
Have found the toe clips pretty much impossable to get my feet under so think I will be investing in a pair of touring type shoes and whack on a set of SPD peddles, any recomendations would be much appreciated.
Once mastered I think this is gonna be a lot of fun!

Cheers Sean

I'm on clips and straps on my fixed, have been for years, the trick is to slip your foot in as soon as you start moving, don't leave it till your starting to get some speed up, slip your foot in at about walking pace or below.
And welcome to fixed wheel

http://www.63xc.com/gregg/101_1.htm

bonker

Guru
SPDs are the way to go. You'll get used to approaching junctions and stops more slowly. You'll soon be doing the whole commute without clipping out. Don't get shoes with smooth bottoms, get MTB style shoes so you've got some grip without clipping in if you need it. Road shoes with smooth bottoms will slip and slide all over the place.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf

I bought some Specialized touring shoes.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/bg-sport-touring-shoe-ec025555

I use them with some Shimano SPDs set to minimum tension.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/m520-spd-pedals-ec005948

I've probably ridden about 600 miles on that combination so far and I'm still very happy with my choice.

SPDs are the way to go. You'll get used to approaching junctions and stops more slowly. You'll soon be doing the whole commute without clipping out. Don't get shoes with smooth bottoms, get MTB style shoes so you've got some grip without clipping in if you need it. Road shoes with smooth bottoms will slip and slide all over the place.

That is such useful advice, thanks! I was on the verge of dropping a large load of cash on some swanky Giro shoes and switching to spds for fixied riding but what you said makes total sense - I think you've just saved me a lot of money and a very sore learning curve. ^_^

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
sorry but spd's are not the only way to go imo. they can be very unpredictable when using them for leg braking, ok they're easy to tighten to full whack when you have nice new cleats, but they do wear. you just don't know when you've reached the unclip threshold pressure. whereas with clips you just know your in securely (as long as they're adjusted correctly). however if your running 2 brakes that's ok, spd's are a viable option.

edit: i use big size 13 walking boots in winter to keep warm, no problems getting in or out of the clips. i agree it is easier with smooth soled shoes and i do use leather soled boots in summer, dead comfy.

Roadrunner78

I use normal pedals. One year on fixed and many hundreds of miles. :ohmy:

Edit; first day i got it i couldn't get my feet in the toe clips, so i swapped to normal pedals till i got use to fixed gear riding... i never took them off.

bonker

Guru
Alright forget the SPD thing, just so long as the cleat recesses into the shoe and the shoe has some grip . SPDs are double sided though so that helps..

OP
OP
sean8997

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
I have MTB shoes already but am thinking touring shoes as they are a bit more trainer/hiking shoe like for when I go to the shops etc

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
No one has mentioned Eggbeaters; easy 4 sided entry, you can clip in moving the foot forward or backward, solid and predictable retention (unlike the M540's i have also used), no adjustments to worry about, long warranty and self serviceable. I'd recommend them.

Top Bottom