Single Speed comes out of hibernation !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zipp2001

Veteran
I had the best winter cycling season in years. The trails were perfect, and I logged plenty of miles early this year. So, I didn't expect the legs to be too surprised going to a single speed rolling a 52/14. I went to a rail trial and rolled out and back 26 miles. The fun part is it does have a plenty of crossings and when you slow down or stop it takes some effort to get that gear spooled back up. Just a great day for a ride and let the road bike season officially begin.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDMgvsM2Kms

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
52/19 on my singlespeed. Definitely undergeared on flat/downhill roads but I wouldn't get up any hills on 52/14. I have a few 7-8% ramps that I tackle regularly and occasionally 100-200 metres at 10-11%, but that is about my limit.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
An old boy I sometimes drink with used to ride a fixed with gearing close to 100 inches in his younger days. His knees are now really fecked up and walking more than a short distance gets painful. I don't think it's entirely unconnected to his choice of gearing many years ago. You only get one set of knees, don't abuse them.

An old boy I sometimes drink with used to ride a fixed with gearing close to 100 inches in his younger days. His knees are now really fecked up and walking more than a short distance gets painful. I don't think it's entirely unconnected to his choice of gearing many years ago. You only get one set of knees, don't abuse them.
I don't think some understand the concept of gearing. Single speed is fun as a lad and rather fashionable but it will cost you dearly if you carry on.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I don't think some understand the concept of gearing. Single speed is fun as a lad and rather fashionable but it will cost you dearly if you carry on.

The problem is the grinding needed to get going in the first place and to counter any gradients. Single speeds on youngsters bikes tended to be geared a fair bit lower than 100 inches.

D

Deleted member 1258

My fixed is about to go into hibernation for the summer and the geared bike is about to come out, I ride fixed in winter and gears in summer, before I retired I commuted on fixed, current gearing 42 x 17 to give a 65 inch gear, I'm 70 now and my knee's are fine, its my right hip thats knackered.

OP
OP
Zipp2001

Zipp2001

Veteran
My fixed is about to go into hibernation for the summer and the geared bike is about to come out, I ride fixed in winter and gears in summer, before I retired I commuted on fixed, current gearing 42 x 17 to give a 65 inch gear, I'm 70 now and my knee's are fine, its my right hip thats knackered.

I'm just about to turn 62 and never had a single knee issue and I'm what most people call a masher.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm just about to turn 62 and never had a single knee issue and I'm what most people call a masher.

The guy I know has got 20 years on you and he was fine when he was your age. Body abuse may take many years to finally catch up with you, but rest assured one day it will. Lifetime smokers are a prime example, they'll claim to have no ill effects after 40 years of smoking then another 5 years on from that they can't even get to the end of their street without wheezing and stopping to get their breath back!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
there appears to be not a single meter of climbing in the OP's video clip though...as pan flat as a flat pan.
Oh, if I had some trails/roads like that to ride round here I would go for a bigger gear too!

I was out on my bike earlier and my gear felt good at 24-29 kph (15-18 mph) but it starts to get a bit spinny for me much faster than that.

D

Deleted member 1258

Oh, if I had some trails/roads like that to ride round here I would go for a bigger gear too!

I was out on my bike earlier and my gear felt good at 24-29 kph (15-18 mph) but it starts to get a bit spinny for me much faster than that.

My fixed is on 42 x 17 and gives me 20 mph at a 103 rpm cadence, and starts to get spinney between 20 and 25 mph.

Top Bottom