Single Speed for Dummies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
I've got nothing against ssfg bikes and rather like them.

BUT....

I do wonder why anyone wants to ride ssfg during winter (when the going gets tough) then revert back to geared bike in summer. The only reason seems to be maintenance cost and I don't think it's a whole bunch higher on a geared bike over a ss but the convenience you get in return for gears outweighs whatever small maintenance cost there is.

I would suggest getting ssfg if you want one, but not using winter as an excuse to get one. (Not saying the op is doing it for that reason, but putting it out there to be aware of not being sucked into buying something you don't really need).

Javelin301

Why. not go Dutch. Fully enclosed chain, hub gear- mine's a Nexus 7 with hub brake on the back too. Can't find a picture now but can take one tomorrow. Got mine pristine -second hand for £40. I really like it.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
<<<<<< With my forum name of course I’m going to say go fixed . :laugh:
Considering the quoted £220+ for Parts and Labour costs I’m surprised so far no one has suggested going down the DIY bike repair route. Depending on the spec of your bike , shopping around for parts you could probably half that figure.

Top Bottom