Single Speed for Dummies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
Never ridden one. Commuting through winter down canal towpath means my geared hybrid bike just gets battered and all the consumables just need replacing soon even with my efforts at repeated cleaning.

Took it to trusted LBS this week and he said to do what is needed you are looking at £220 minimum. This was bottom bracket, new chain ring, cassette, chain and some other bits. He said it's not desperate and you might get six months or so before it really needs doing.

This price is getting into new bike territory so I decided to leave it and see how I get on.

He did say, since my commute is fairly flat (though some short/sharp hills) I might do better with a single speed with free wheel. This got me curious. I have an 18 mile each way commute and average around 15mph with my geared bike. I like to get there as fast as I can really and cycle in a way that doesn't leave me too knackered. Will it take longer on single speed and will it require more effort? I assume it would, it's still an option if it is only slightly slower and the lack of maintenance/easier to clean aspect makes up for it.

Do you think a single speed is a good option or will I be having to leave earlier for work and get passed loads on the way?

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
A SS might surprise you and be quicker than a geared bike. With gears, when you approach a hill, you change down and thus go slower. With an SS, when you approach a hill, you just try harder. I am often quicker on a 68" SS round one of my lumpy training loops than my geared bike.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Never ridden one. Commuting through winter down canal towpath means my geared hybrid bike just gets battered and all the consumables just need replacing soon even with my efforts at repeated cleaning.

Took it to trusted LBS this week and he said to do what is needed you are looking at £220 minimum. This was bottom bracket, new chain ring, cassette, chain and some other bits. He said it's not desperate and you might get six months or so before it really needs doing.

This price is getting into new bike territory so I decided to leave it and see how I get on.

He did say, since my commute is fairly flat (though some short/sharp hills) I might do better with a single speed with free wheel. This got me curious. I have an 18 mile each way commute and average around 15mph with my geared bike. I like to get there as fast as I can really and cycle in a way that doesn't leave me too knackered. Will it take longer on single speed and will it require more effort? I assume it would, it's still an option if it is only slightly slower and the lack of maintenance/easier to clean aspect makes up for it.

Do you think a single speed is a good option or will I be having to leave earlier for work and get passed loads on the way?

I think you're cleaning it too much, get some good thick oil on the chain then ride through the winter and replace the chain and cassette/freewheel in the spring. What would help is to weekly put some oil on the chain then wipe the excess off with an old rag then repeat until you're happy with the result, it's an old technique but it works well. Use the search thread function on here for 'Mickle Method'

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
What is good thick oil? Currently using muc off.

Clean it on average once or twice a week (typically that's how many wet rides there are a week - don't clean it after a dry ride) with degreaser and chain bath. Will look up mickle method.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
As @Sharky said, SS can be quicker.

My fastest commute times (including a steep hill at the end) were done on my SS, not my 3x10.

It's important to get the right ratio for your situation. A trade of between not spinning out too much, but still able to climb those hills.

My last ratio was 36/15, but I could have dropped that to 36/14 as my fitness improved.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Fully agree they can be faster because as said above by @Sharky you just have to get on with it!
If you go fixed (I have never ridden a single free) I would say have front and back brakes, believe me, when you are descending full pelt twiddling like crazy you want the added feel and security of two brakes... and you need two hoods anyway? As for ratio, my favorite is also 68" 48x19

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
Yeah, I prefer freewheel with hydraulic disk brakes. Would like the option of coasting down any descents.

I think your better option would be a hub geared belt drive bike. With no derailleur gears or metal chain it would be a very low maintenance bike. I commuted to work 11 miles each way for over 10 years on a Trek Soho belt drive hub geared bike. It was fantastic for the purpose. Rainy, muddy days and dark when I got home. Just put it away in the shed. No need to wipe and relubricate. It was sheer joy. Trek Soho not made any more but there are plenty of good belt drive bikes around that would likely suit your purpose.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I used to commute daily on a Fixed-Wheel which also included a gruntable hill. Also ridden L2B and climbed Ditchling on it, so fixed is not just for the flat!
BUT, in my experience there's a world of difference between fixed-wheel and fixed-speed (with freewheel). Fixed wheel is faster and more efficient than a single gear and freewheel. After a period of riding a fixed-wheel anything else feels like cycling through butter.

On another note, if you need simplicity + gears then a hub gear is worth considering - less efficient than a derailleur but easier to clean and maintain. Hub + Belt drive even better!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Clean it on average once or twice a week (typically that's how many wet rides there are a week - don't clean it after a dry ride) with degreaser and chain bath. Will look up mickle method.

Do not degrease your chain, it doesn’t need it, and it likely detrimental, especially twice a week!. Just wipe with old cloth and apply light oil if necessary. If the chain isn’t making a rattling / dry creaking sound then just a wipe down is fine.

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
I think your better option would be a hub geared belt drive bike. With no derailleur gears or metal chain it would be a very low maintenance bike. I commuted to work 11 miles each way for over 10 years on a Trek Soho belt drive hub geared bike. It was fantastic for the purpose. Rainy, muddy days and dark when I got home. Just put it away in the shed. No need to wipe and relubricate. It was sheer joy. Trek Soho not made any more but there are plenty of good belt drive bikes around that would likely suit your purpose.

Looks like the 'district' range is the replacement

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...s-bikes/district/district-4-equipped/p/33497/

Bit beyond my budget that but could look at cheaper models or second hand.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Well my old cycle shop owning friend uses 20/50 motor oil but I prefer Chainsaw chain oil but it is a bit 'gloopy' using an antifling component.
I completely agree with @Ming the Merciless degreaser has no place on a chain, the lubricant is needed INSIDE the links not just on the surface of the rollers.
Now if you have a plastic thing costing oodles of quid that you take out (when it's not raining) to impress a bunch of blokes in romper suits (and no undercrackers) who think cycling is a 'sport' then fine but if you are using a bike to commute in all weathers then keeping it in good mechanical nick is far more important.
As for me I've been a cyclist since 1967 and apart from a brief daliance with motorbikes on and off in the late seventies/early eighties have owned no other vehicles since 1985.

Top Bottom