Single Speed comes out of hibernation !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I have definitely used some lube on the gears on that bike in those 2 decades!
Not enough it would seem

:surrender: Sorry Colin , I will make no further comment on your sticky gears .

Aldi have GT 85 in the middle aisle at moment . That’s it I promise, I’ll say no more .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not enough it would seem

:surrender: Sorry Colin , I will make no further comment on your sticky gears .

Aldi have GT 85 in the middle aisle at moment . That’s it I promise, I’ll say no more .
I had already bought some!

My singlespeed transmission was making horrible clicking/ticking/creaking sounds which needed sorting out. Only, actually - it wasn't! It turned out to be the saddle clamp... One of those weird situations where a noise travels through the frame and sounds like it is coming from somewhere else. I've cleaned the clamp, lubed the bolts and saddle rails, and done the bolts back up nice and tight - lovely and quiet again! :okay:

D

Deleted member 1258

My singlespeed transmission was making horrible clicking/ticking/creaking sounds which needed sorting out. Only, actually - it wasn't! It turned out to be the saddle clamp... One of those weird situations where a noise travels through the frame and sounds like it is coming from somewhere else. I've cleaned the clamp, lubed the bolts and saddle rails, and done the bolts back up nice and tight - lovely and quiet again! :okay:

Well done. I'm planning what should be my last fixed ride of the winter for tomorrow, the new bottom bracket for the geared bike is on its way.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy

I agree tracing annoying noises on bikes can be extremely irritating and time consuming.

OP
OP
Zipp2001

Zipp2001

Veteran
No Lube needed, smooth and quiet.
Wisper 1.jpg

OP
OP
Zipp2001

Zipp2001

Veteran
I remember seeing a picture of that before.

I like the belt drive concept. How long do the belts last and how much do they cost? Also, how efficient are they compared to a new chain?

(Not that I could fit a belt to any of my bikes without frame surgery!)
No reason why a well-maintained belt system won't get you 20,000 miles or more. Sorry I can't remember the cost, but it wasn't unreasonable. I have another zipp2001 single speed with a chain set-up and find the belt just transfers the power to the pedals more efficiently.
They are back !.jpg

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Lovely bikes @Zipp2001

A bit bonkers, obviously, but still great to see.

People's prejudices about knee damage is interesting. Anyone got any actual evidence? I'd be willing to wager that if there is any, higher cadence is more damaging than higher force. Physios literally prescribe cycling to build up muscles to help knee injuries?

But opinions are cheap. Evidence anyone?

Last edited:
I had to give up fell running back in 1981 after I damaged my ligament in my knee on the Saunders Mountain Marathon in the Lake District,
I took up cycling again properly in 1991 had no pain in my knee,Took up riding fixed gear after being T-boned and a subsequent broken arm and plate left me with a weak left arm,riding fixed was easy with just the one brake that I operated with my good arm,20 plus years of riding fixed must have strengthened my knees I reckon and I have zero knee pain,I prefer higher gear ratios rather than spinny ones,maybe that has had some bearing on things...................

Top Bottom