1st distance ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lip03

Über Member
went on my 1st ride of any distance last night.
got home from work early and the missus was still out and my son at his childminders (who is a good friend) so i decided to cycle to see my son. its only about 5.7 miles away but there and back was just about 11.5 miles. i have been commuting for a while now but my ride is only about 3 miles so was nice to get out for longer. think when i get my road bike at the end of the month i may make a change to my rout to work so i can get some miles in! oh i did get bloody wet on my way home though!! i know 11 miles isnt far but its a start right!?

MattHB

Proud Daddy
It's certainly a start well done :smile:. A work colleague of mine is convinced its impossible to ride for more than 10 miles :biggrin: so it shows you that the vast majority of the population will never do that. And you'll do way more than that as time goes on I'm sure.

:cheers:

mark1974

good for you i havent been cycling very long personally i would not worry to much about distance
cycle enjoy miles will take care of themselves

OP
OP
lip03

lip03

Über Member
good for you i havent been cycling very long personally i would not worry to much about distance
cycle enjoy miles will take care of themselves
Thanks yeah have been commuting for about two years now but never really thought about riding for the sake of riding but it was fun even if I did get soaked !

pad1979

Thanks yeah have been commuting for about two years now but never really thought about riding for the sake of riding but it was fun even if I did get soaked !

i am just gonna get my 1st real road bike soon but hav been out for 10 - 15m on my mtb which is heavy going, looking forward to getting my new bike and doing the local preston guild wheel route (21m) and personally for some reason i piss myself laughing when it lashes down whilst im on the bike, when im walking i hate it lol

PpPete

Legendary Member
Be warned ! Miles are addictive. Today it's only 10 miles, next month it'll be 20, then .....
Fortunately there is an organisation out there that caters for this addiction: Audax UK

i am just gonna get my 1st real road bike soon but hav been out for 10 - 15m on my mtb which is heavy going, looking forward to getting my new bike and doing the local preston guild wheel route (21m) and personally for some reason i piss myself laughing when it lashes down whilst im on the bike, when im walking i hate it lol

I'm the same. I love going out when it hammers down and it makes me laugh out loud too. I come back drenched, sometimes covered in mud and always very happy!! I've learned from experience though that shoe covers help, though don't completely work when it lashes down.

As for the original poster, well done. I remember when I couldnt do twelve miles just about four years ago. Just get out and enjoy. Push it up five miles or ten miles every so often if you want. But most importantly, enjoy!!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Well done lip03. Its the early miles that are the hardest* and you've got em in the bag.

(*This isn't actually true, but I'd put the 0-10 miles difficulty way above the 50 - 100, 100 - 150, 150 - 200, etc... Around 250 to 300 it gets hard again, but that's a nice problem to have :smile:

David Garside

Well I'm almost too embarrassed to put this on here.....Just been out to check the rebuilt back wheel is all ok around the local wildlife lakes etc and covered the staggering distance of 3.93 miles. I've only just literally dug the bike out and haven't ridden one for years. I could have gone for much longer but didn't want to overdo it too soon. I enjoyed it though and got a bit dirty at the same time....see what the next one brings.....:blush:

OP
OP
lip03

lip03

Über Member
Wow not looked a thread for a while thanks for support guys got a day off work tomorrow and need wallpaper paste so might go the hardware store out of town just for the hell of it!

Top Bottom