1st ever commute this morning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WobblyBob

Well....I did it !

I've been cycling about 2 months now just for fun/fitness but I've always refrained from attempting a commute into work as I've always thought it was a bit far at about 15 miles into the centre of Newcastle, that & the fact that I start & finish at stupid times with my job as a train driver.

But this morning I had my 1st 'normal' start time for ages so I thought I'd give it a go, so I left at 5.50am so as not to risk being late & I arrived at 6.55 which left me plenty time to get a shower & a sit down before starting work (granted....sitting down some more ha ha).

It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, apart from finding it quite tough the 1st few miles, getting going I suppose.

Anyway....I would count that as a success for me & now I know I can do it I might try to do it a few times a week maybe.

Cheers.

That is the hardest commute,the first one. It gets easier now. Well done you

nathanicola

Well done. Just remember you will need to take more food to work and eat something before riding home, mine is about 13 miles each way and the first time i cycled just took the usual light lunch, well after about 5 miles on the way home completely bonked couldnt get over 14mph the rest of the way

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Well done. I planned to 'try to do it a few times a week maybe.'

Within 2 months I was cycling to work every day. That was 3 years ago. My round trip's a bit shorter at 24 miles, but once you're hooked, your hooked. What sort of comments did you get from your work mates.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well done Bob! :wahhey:
Shift work, silly hours, as you call them, are better for cycling.
I love my commute when I start at 6am on a Sunday morning or when I finish late at night.
Love less the getting up at 5am :sad:

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Yeah thanks for the encouragement guys, some of my colleagues think i'm nuts i sure :wacko: but there are 1 or 2 proper cyclists at work aswell who think its great that i'm starting off & have been able to give me some decent advice aswell.
Funnily enough i managed to get home about 7 or 8 minutes quicker than it took me to get to work despite the heavier traffic, although i did come home a slightly different way & actually felt stronger the further i was going....yep i'm well n truely hooked i reckon :thumbsup:
Think i'll be shopping for some decent weatherproof gear before too long !!

redcard

Veteran
I started commuting back in March, 15 mile round trip,now I'm doing a 40 mile round trip because I enjoy it so much.

One big part of the commute is learning the route. Not so much left here, right there, but the parts where you need to save your legs and the parts where you can pick up some speed, the parts where you need to think more about the traffic around you, and the parts where you can coast along with not a care in the world.

Don't worry about the waterproof gear - that's what towels are for! It rained all 25 miles of my journey home tonight, it's no big deal getting a bit wet.

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Nice one, I'm dead envious of you having a shower at work!

Yeah i'm pretty lucky i suppose, although i found out today there was absolutely no hot (or even warm) water...it cooled me off pretty sharpish tho ha ha

I started commuting back in March, 15 mile round trip,now I'm doing a 40 mile round trip because I enjoy it so much.

One big part of the commute is learning the route. Not so much left here, right there, but the parts where you need to save your legs and the parts where you can pick up some speed, the parts where you need to think more about the traffic around you, and the parts where you can coast along with not a care in the world.

Don't worry about the waterproof gear - that's what towels are for! It rained all 25 miles of my journey home tonight, it's no big deal getting a bit wet.

Funnily enough when i used to run a few years back i used to love running in the rain & i suppose as long as i can take a shower at work it does'nt make much difference....apart form putting wet gear back on to go home of course !

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Well done! It does get silly addictive! My commute before used to be 5 miles, before long I was stretching it to 20 in the mornings on my hybrid! Showers at work are great! I wish I had one at my place I just have to show up 25 minutes early to cool down

redcard

Veteran
Yeah i'm pretty lucky i suppose, although i found out today there was absolutely no hot (or even warm) water...it cooled me off pretty sharpish tho ha ha

Funnily enough when i used to run a few years back i used to love running in the rain & i suppose as long as i can take a shower at work it does'nt make much difference....apart form putting wet gear back on to go home of course !

I just leave my gear on a couple of hangers in the changing rooms.

Anyway, the only thing worse than wearing wet clothes is having to carry wet clothes.

Yeah thanks for the encouragement guys, some of my colleagues think i'm nuts i sure
These would be the walking heart attacks who normally think any form of exercise is nuts^_^

:wacko: but there are 1 or 2 proper cyclists at work aswell who think its great that i'm starting off & have been able to give me some decent advice aswell.
That does help a lot, a couple of like-minded colleagues to chat cycling with and share problems/solutions.

Funnily enough i managed to get home about 7 or 8 minutes quicker than it took me to get to work despite the heavier traffic, although i did come home a slightly different way & actually felt stronger the further i was going....yep i'm well n truely hooked i reckon :thumbsup:

You heard it here first folks, 'well 'n truly hooked', WE'VE GOT ANOTHER OOONNNEEEE :welcome: :sun: :bravo:

Think i'll be shopping for some decent weatherproof gear before too long !!

Definitely a good idea. As far as is practical/budgetable shop for fit and comfort rather than price, even if you have to take a very deep breath as you pay. The mornings when you'd have taken the car you won't mind being on the bike 'cos your 'proofs will be quality kit and will work .
Blyth to Newcastle Central Station is a good hike, well done sir. I'd imagine there will be more than one route you could take, depending upon weather/time of year/tiredness etc?
I was on me hols caravanning near Warkworth a couple of weeks back and we went into Newcastle as I wanted to show the kids the toon (as I was born upriver in Ryton 'n all) and was mightily impressed. Lotsa cyclists, a city-based cycle hire scheme and a city which seemed to be buzzing with new builds, energy and the impression it's looking forwards. Sat on the quayside with an icecream and a latte whilst my kids built sandcastles on the 'beach' behind me, palm trees to my left and right and looking accross the river at the Sage I could't help but reflect how things there have changed.

Top Bottom