1st 'proper' ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benthedoon

I bought a shiney new road bike a couple of weeks ago, I bought some new clipless pedals (see clipless virgin thread) and yesterday my new shoes turned up, I'm ready.
I've been riding to work since I got the bike which is only a couple of miles and I've done a short circuit of 6 miles a couple of times but now I've got bike, shoes, pedals etc. I thought it was time to consider a 'proper' ride.
Today I did 15 miles!! not far for a lot of people out there but a big step for me, it took me 35 minutes which I'm quite happy with, there were a selection of hills too, long but mellow and short but steep. I now officially have the bug, it didn't kill me and I think 20+ is going to be a lot easier than I thought. Bring on my next day off, 20+ here I come.

OP
OP
Benthedoon

Benthedoon

I've noticed a little typo, it didn't take me 35 minutes that would be ridiculous as I've only been riding for a month, 45 minutes and I'm still happy with it.

Well done Ben!! Good to hear how people who are new to the sport get on!! I am myself...infact I am still waiting to collect my first road bike! It's nice to hear how others progress....gives me an idea of what is in store!! I hope I catch the bug!! How does it feel wearing cycling shoes?! I've never worn them!

Canardly

Veteran
Well the spd's do make a hell of a difference but it does hurt when you fall off for the first time. Try and do it on grass rather than tarmac.

OP
OP
Benthedoon

Benthedoon

You'll catch the bug I'm sure of that, especially after that 1st psychological victory. Yesterday the thought of today's ride was daunting, I'd like to be 30+ miles regularly but it felt unatainable not now though, I'm still buzzing from making 15.
Cycling shoes are worthy of the hype they feel right, I had a little practice leaning against a wall last night just to get a feel for clipping in and out, it's easy but you do have to think ahead a bit on the road and pulling away is a bit tricky the 1st couple of times.
How long 'til your road bike turns up? I had to wait about 10 days in the end, the anticipation and excitement nearly killed me!!

sarahpink

well done, ive had my road bike just over 2 weeks and still havent tried the pedals, im working my way up to it! need to be accident free for a week lol

potsy

Rambler
sarahpink said:
well done, ive had my road bike just over 2 weeks and still havent tried the pedals, im working my way up to it! need to be accident free for a week lol
With your track record I'd hold off a bit longer on those pedals Sarah:biggrin:;)

OP
OP
Benthedoon

Benthedoon

I was going to wait longer as that was the advice given to me in my LBS but then lots of people said to just go for it. I wouldn't be as comfortable if I had loads of traffic lights to contend with although my stationary balancing is better than I was expecting.
If you have a tendancy to spend a lot of time rubber side up instead of down then definitely have a good practice somewhere soft, you wouldn't want to scratch your new toy.

You know what, 15 miles is enough today anyway!

Went up to North Yorkshire, had intended to have a long day out around the forest tracks then head to Scarborough and back through Forge Valley

Got stuck in traffic for about 2 hours (then another hour on the detour as neither my poor car nor I could cope with carrying on queuing) which curtailed my plans for the day, arriving at 3pm instead of noon as planned and after a ride around the route but cutting out the 10-12 miles to Scarborough and back, ended up being about 20

Perhaps it was because I was on the MTB. Perhaps it's because in the traffic jam, my car was looking like joining the ranks of the overheated ones littering the roadside so i had the heater on full blast to dissipate the heat which might have dehydrated me (bought 1l of mineral water from a garage later and it didn't even touch the sides!!)

Anyway, I was glad to get back to the car after those 20 miles. I'd guzzled another litre of water emptying both water bottles, AND a bottle of lucozade AND a Callipo ice lolly from a shop en-route

OP
OP
Benthedoon

Benthedoon

That's not a fun day out on the bike, I can sympathise as I drive for a living and I do a lot of miles around the Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk coastline and at this time of year I spend a lot of time in neutral waiting, mind wandering to where I could be riding but then after many hot hours stuck in traffic in a van I do fins it hard to motivate myself properly.
15 was good and it was hot, Sunday will be a little 10 mile day (it still sounds a lot in my head but I know it's nothing now) can't wait, Ive just had to feed my youngest and I'm contemplating going out now before they others wake up.

lukesdad

Early morning rides are the best, get up before the rest of humanity and share the space with the birds and the mist. Especially this time of year.

OP
OP
Benthedoon

Benthedoon

Breakfast for the rabble, a cup of tea for my beautiful (although slightly hungover) wife and then it's me and the road for hopefully an hour or so, not as early as I would have liked.

Rebel Ian

When you go out, try and get in the mindset of going out for a set time, not a set distance. If you say you'll go out for an hour, it doesn't sound much but you'll easily clock up 12-15 miles in an hour. It's easier to get hung up about distances than time.

brush3287

Nettles are worst!

Canardly said:
Well the spd's do make a hell of a difference but it does hurt when you fall off for the first time. Try and do it on grass rather than tarmac.

I've found it's always because you've not anticipated go so slow & then you forget you're clipped in. This seems to disappear after about a month & two or three patches of nettles.

Eventually though it becomes semi automatic & I find myself anticipating more things now I have to think about getting out of my SPD's.

Top Bottom