1st Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

Picked it up on saturday.

its a Giant SCR2 2007, and only covered about 400 miles

im well chuffed with it:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

DSC00365.jpg

DSC00366.jpg

DSC00367.jpg

DSC00368.jpg

DSC00369.jpg

DSC00370.jpg

Smeggers

nice wheels!

you mean youve done 400 miles since saturday??!!!

Theres a yellow jersey in france with your name on it!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
What, how do you ride Roadiewill? No spokes broken in 5072miles. No problem with the wheels, and i've been down alot of bad roads.
Nice bike Young Un, shame about the tripple;)

Mortiroloboy

Looking good, but ditch the DA22 wheels, Mavic Aksiums won't break the bank, but you'll notice a real difference. I broke one of the spokes on my DA22's build quality is a bit hit and miss.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

150 quid for wheels for a bike i only paid 310 for is quite alot.

and leave me alone about the triple lol

i havent had to use the granny ring yet so there

Mortiroloboy

Young Un said:
150 quid for wheels for a bike i only paid 310 for is quite alot.

and leave me alone about the triple lol

i havent had to use the granny ring yet so there

Bargain, see if you can find a similar wheel bargain somewhere, you really will notice a big difference.:biggrin:

kyuss

Veteran
Don't listen to them. Better wheels will make a difference but unless you've ridden good ones and then go back to rubbish, you won't even notice. Ride the wheels till they break and then replace them. I'm still riding the crappy ones that came on my first road bike, and while not the lightest or most comfortable, they go round and round when I push the pedals. Agree about replacing the tires though. It's a fairly cheap way to improve the handling and feel.

Mortiroloboy

kyuss said:
Don't listen to them. Better wheels will make a difference but unless you've ridden good ones and then go back to rubbish, you won't even notice. Ride the wheels till they break and then replace them. I'm still riding the crappy ones that came on my first road bike, and while not the lightest or most comfortable, they go round and round when I push the pedals. Agree about replacing the tires though. It's a fairly cheap way to improve the handling and feel.

Utter Tosh Sir;) Wheels are the single most effective way of improving your bike, and you will notice an immediate improvement, as most manufacturers look to save money on parts, they invariably sacrifice quality on OE wheels.

My Wilier came with Fulcrum R7's, good wheels, but IMO not what the frame deserved.

However on the SCR4 they feel pretty good, roll nicely and improve the bikes appearance.

The DA22's may well turn with each pedal stroke, but they are budget
wheels and not as good build or component wise as something as keenly priced as a pair of Mavic Aksium's.

kyuss

Veteran
You're right. I completely agree that good wheels are the single biggest improvement you can make to a bike, what I meant with my badly worded comment was how can you notice any improvement until the improvement's been made?

I rode fairly bog standard wheels for about 2 years before getting good ones and although I noticed it immediately at no point in those first 2 years did I think what I had were rubbish. Like the OP says if you're on a budget £150 on wheels for a £300 bike that he's only just bought can seem like lot of money when the wheels that came with it will do the job. If you can afford it tyres and wheels would be the first upgrades I'd make to any bike, but people shouldn't feel the need to get caught up in upgrading everything at the earliest opportunity. The most important thing is getting out there and enjoy riding.

Top Bottom