1st School day.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Bren

Miss B, at the tender age of 4, graduated from school nursery to reception class today. She was up at 4.30 this morning, too excited to sleep. Mrs B was in floods when we dropped her off, along with several dozen other Mums. The day was a great success - she loved every minute of it. According to her, they learned how to write in French, which is a great start to the academic year.

Young Master B starts year 4 tomorrow - he's hacked off about his summer hols coming to an end, but loves school. It's all a bit alien to me, but it seems like some schools are actually nice places to be thesedays. Weird.

Bren

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Booo i have to go back to school today.
Hopefully i will have ICT so i can come on here and not do any work :biggrin:
I'm in year 11 now, so only this year left before i can do something else.
I remember my first school day i think, i used to enjoy going to school for abit, then i didnt want to go.
I'm going to have to do some work today :biggrin:

Bigtallfatbloke

I remember my first day at 'big school' back in the '60's. My Mum had to lift me up and hand me over to the teacher and I promptly kicked her in the stomache!

I remember my sons first day at 'big school' just a few years ago. he refused to let me come to the gates with him, choosing instead to take a deep breath & walk from the car into this new adventure on his own with his head held high. That was one of the proudest moments of my life.

ChrisKH

Guru
I had to be dragged in screaming by my tie (and the girl from next door by the pigtails) on my first day at school.

My eldest son's first day back was yesterday (year 2, age 7). His reply to how his first day had gone was 'our new teacher is great'. Bless. I couldn't say that about any of my teachers whilst I was at school.

My youngest gets promoted to Reception next Wednesday which I'm rather pleased about as my wife can now go back to work the teacher is gorgous. :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
There's a girl in my son's class who has an interesting relationship with her mother. It's difficult to tell who is more dependent on who.

Last year, for the first couple of weeks, the mom wouldn't leave the classroom window until the daughter was crying.

Hmm. There's a Mum who needs to get a life....

Yeah, saw an article in G2 yesterday on how to make starting school less painful, and they reckoned parents crying was a no-no. I read it all to save up the info for my sister in about 4 years time... Mind you, when kids go to nursery from very young (baby age) I suppose they are more used to being left somewhere new...?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
our two eldest (years 5 and 1 respectively) both happily went on their first ever day with no problems. i suspect that our oldest lad benefitted from the knowledge that big sis enjoys school and that it's something good, if a little scary.

funny how it's the girls that seem to handle these things better.

both came back with no worries yesterday, liking new teacher etc.

Globalti

Legendary Member
All these stories are making my eyes moist!

My lad aged 8 started at a new school yesterday, on the promise that it would be better than the old school. When my wife picked him up he was in tears, it didn't start well as nobody wanted to talk to him in the playground.

I am on tenterhooks today hoping he will have a better day.

Nobody ever warned me how being a father would affect my emotional stability!

chris42

My 4 year old starts school tomorrow!
He is so excited!
His teacher came round yesterday to say hello and answer any questions he had. I thought this was really good for the little ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr
Granddaughter No1 cried at the schoolgates apparently. Her little sister went for a bike ride to cheer herself up. Nearly a mile! The back to school chocolate has been delivered. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Awwwww. Hope tomorrow's better.

Apparently less tears at the gate. She asked for pizzas with smiley faces for her lunchbox in case she felt sad at lunchtime.

Big Bren

My son started year 4 today with no problems. I went for our usual man to man chat before bed and he said school was pretty ok today, because his new teacher (Miss Samson) is quite hot. Good lad!

Bren

starseven said:
Boy no 2 first day at high school tommorow.

Girl no 1 first day at primary tommorow.

Much weeping and photo taking expected.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Big landmarks for a family , I will be very proud.........it usually lasts until the first parent evening!! :biggrin:

First day done now, the boy was sent packing new uniform and bag etc, cycled of to meet his mates, loved his new school its like science abuse come real, still smiling when he got home , telling me all about it and looking forward to tommorow.

Daughter goes into nursery (3 1/2) and gets the wobbles I end up sitting with her for a hour, she gets to go to the front of the class and use a whiteboard(thats a pc computer the size of a chalkboard) draws a picture of me complete with green hair , I should be so lucky!! and is at once intergrated into our education system.
There was a soapbox thread a while ago about education , I know those kids have the best, no hoodies, very few foreign pupils. Its up to them now.

Emu

My son is in year 8 now. The transition from primary to secondary was a nightmare for him. He hated school last year. So far, so good for this year though. He came home with a radiant smile yesterday and this morning I didn't hear a single "do I have to go to school/ I don't want to go" mantra. One of the great things about an 11 year old getting themselves to and from school is that if they want to see friends out of school you know they can get themsleves there without you having to taxi them:smile: Having said that with their independence is their belief they can go anywhere and at anytime:sad:

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
I am 57 my eldest girl went to High School today.Iworried about her all day.She came home by herself for the first time.I sat looking out of the window while she came home after three.She walked down the street with the biggest smile. It had been a good day.

Six years later she is now a 6th former all grown up.And i now worry about her going to Uni.^_^

Top Bottom