1st time solo c2c & navigation tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoidburg75

Regular
Morning all,

I'm doing the C2C route from Workington to Sunderland in early september on my own over 3 days. Its my first time attempting a multi day ride on my own but I feel pretty good about it all in all. I've trained quite a bit over the last few months and have lost almost 2 stone and increased my fitness considerably. I rode the south downs way 2 years ago over 3 days with my 2 brothers and though it was pretty tough in places we got through it and i feel like I'm fitter now so hopefully the C2C route will be no worse than that (especially considering its more paved and I'm on a gravel bike with thinner tires etc).

I've bought a garmin edge 530 to help with the navigation but am unsure of the best way to get the route loaded on to it. Can anyone advise how to go about this please?

Any other C2C or touring advice is also most welcome (no need for anything camping related as im staying in pubs / B&B's on the route).

Thanks in advance.

Ben

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
To load the route onto a Garmin follow these steps:

1. Obtain the route in a format such as .gpx. I presume there is some "official" route file or you can develop your own. If you develop your own then www.ridewithgps.com is as good as any other for mapping routes and creating route files

2. Save the .gpx route file (or files, you can have D1, D2, D3 if you prefer as separate routes) to a computer

3. Attach your garmin to the computer using the cable that should come with the device. Your computer should recognise it as a Drive

4. Go into your computer files and find the one(s) you have saved. Click on these to copy them, then go to the Garmin drive your computer will have recognised and paste the file(s) into the "New Files" directory

That should be that

We have just done a LEJOG backpacking (so staying in B&Bs etc) so any advice I can give please ask

And I'd use the Garmin connect app for planning your training routes so you can put that into the computer and practice following a route. You need to be happy using the Garmin - don't let your c2c be the first time you use it to navigate.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 and I did that route some time ago. Although we started from Cockermouth as that was where my mother lived at the time. It's a lovely route although on this bit
1627497413530.png
the descent through the wood is unrideable IMHO. Very steep and rough. We walked. No big deal really. Just a teeny heads up :okay:

Enjoy :thumbsup:

You need to be happy using the Garmin - don't let your c2c be the first time you use it to navigate.
Keep reading this until it sinks in!^_^

For backup on your phone I'd recommend Osmand. Depending on your Garmin you may be able to send routes directly.
Osmand doesn't plot great routes but it will get you out of a hole if needed. Works totally offline.

Best of luck!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
If you use Cycle.Travel to plot your route, you can save it to Garmin Connect, it will then "sync" to your Garmin device, when you connect to Computer, at least it does on my Garmin Edge Touring. As previously mentioned, it may be wise to save route as "daily sections" rather than one long route.

Good luck, enjoy! I did that route with my Son-in-law, when I was 50 (24 years ago now), on a cheap mountain bike, it took us 3 days, we stopped at Penrith, Allenheads, from memory.

OP
OP
Z

Zoidburg75

Regular
Thanks all for the replies!

I have now managed to load each days ride on the garmin using kamoot to plot each day and then saving each as a GPX file.

I am planning on using the garmin as much as possible over the next few weeks to ensure im fully up to speed with it before the actual ride, but will also follow that link provided as well.

thanks everyone!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Thanks all for the replies!

I have now managed to load each days ride on the garmin using kamoot to plot each day and then saving each as a GPX file.

I am planning on using the garmin as much as possible over the next few weeks to ensure im fully up to speed with it before the actual ride, but will also follow that link provided as well.

thanks everyone!
If you're riding solo, take a paper map of the route and stuff it in a plastic bag in your kit. 99% chance you won't need it but electronic navigation riding solo is a bit risky. Four of us did LEJOG recently and on a couple of occasions we had wonky Garmins which, if riding solo, would have prevented navigation

Before I upgraded my Garmin I'd use my Fenix watch and the breadcrumb trail on it. It was fine out in the country with few roads but wouldn't work in a city.

I've also used a strip of duck tape on the top of my shoe and scribbled a few villages that I am aiming for. That helps too.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Mrs 26 and I did that route some time ago. Although we started from Cockermouth as that was where my mother lived at the time. It's a lovely route although on this bit View attachment 601408 the descent through the wood is unrideable IMHO. Very steep and rough. We walked. No big deal really. Just a teeny heads up :okay:

Enjoy :thumbsup:
we did it E-W (in reverse) and I think we walked that stretch too!

if you know the route you are going to take, why not print a map with villages/towns/points of interest to give you a target every so often so its easier to follow along a route.

I've done that before i bought my Garmin, worked fine. I actually Sellotaped the paper map front and backto prevent rain ruining it (i dont have such posh kit as a laminator) and taped it to the top tube. not particularly high tech but if you come off and smash the garmin, you have a fall back.

best of luck and its obligatory to post a ride write up with images :okay:

Top Bottom