1x 2x comparability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlenBen1

Hi,

Probably a really stupid question, but I can’t seem to find an answer.

I’m in need of some grx brake/shifters for a road bike, currently 1x.

2x can be found cheaper. Would this work if I just don’t put a shift cable in the left hand shifter?

Thanks

C R

Guru
Hi,

Probably a really stupid question, but I can’t seem to find an answer.

I’m in need of some grx brake/shifters for a road bike, currently 1x.

2x can be found cheaper. Would this work if I just don’t put a shift cable in the left hand shifter?

Thanks

Can't see why not.

I assume it's a dual control lever.
If so it's a question of if the shifter isn't attached, does the brake lever flop from side to side or can it be locked in place.
Maybe a short length of cable ending in a stop would work.
I've never used one so I don't know.

Luck ........... ^_^

C R

Guru
I assume it's a dual control lever.
If so it's a question of if the shifter isn't attached, does the brake lever flop from side to side or can it be locked in place.
Maybe a short length of cable ending in a stop would work.
I've never used one so I don't know.

Luck ........... ^_^

The ratchet holds it in place even without cable tension.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
The ratchet holds it in place even without cable tension.
With respect (and see below), the brake lever and the paddle can both be rotated whether there's a cable there or not. Think how one checks whether bare STIs are working (eg on receipt): release the spring (inner lever) and then click and count.
On the bike the STI can function merely as a brake lever, which is obvious to the OP as they themselves implied in their description of their question. But the lever will have lateral play unless the rider 'locks' it in the large ring position (maybe this is what you meant). But doing that keeps the spring inside the STI in constant tension.

C R

Guru
With respect (and see below), the brake lever and the paddle can both be rotated whether there's a cable there or not. Think how one checks whether bare STIs are working (eg on receipt): release the spring (inner lever) and then click and count.
On the bike the STI can function merely as a brake lever, which is obvious to the OP as they themselves implied in their description of their question. But the lever will have lateral play unless the rider 'locks' it in the large ring position (maybe this is what you meant). But doing that keeps the spring inside the STI in constant tension.

Well, yes, it can be moved if pushed, but it will not flap.

Top Bottom