1x10 setup, dropping chain at front when shifting at the rear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cambyses

I have a Whyte Shoreditch flatbar commuter with 1x10 Shimano Deore setup. When shifting onto the smallest (sometimes even second-smallest) sprocket at the back, it drops the chain at the FRONT, coming off the chainring outwards away from the frame. It did this very occasionally even when new, but is getting more frequent, to the point I now can't use the top gear at all. LBS seems convinced it is a rear mech adjustment issue and keeps fiddling with the screws, but this doesn't make any difference, and I can't see how the rear mech setup could cause dropping at the front.

Does it need a shorter chain? Or a chain-guide at the front? Suggestions welcome!

Nibor

Bewildered
you could try a narrow wide chainring

Ajax Bay

Guru
a narrow wide chainring
For those who haven't come across this before. Narrow/wide chainring:
Chainring has a narrow/wide tooth configuration designed for 1x10 and 1x11 set-ups without the need of a chain guide.
Narrow wide chainrings alternate one narrow tooth and one wide tooth, both of which are taller than typical chainring teeth. They fit more snugly in the narrow and wide holes in your chain. Because the teeth alternate, the rings are only available in even number tooth counts.

Nibor

Bewildered
For those who haven't come across this before. Narrow/wide chainring:
Chainring has a narrow/wide tooth configuration designed for 1x10 and 1x11 set-ups without the need of a chain guide.
Narrow wide chainrings alternate one narrow tooth and one wide tooth, both of which are taller than typical chainring teeth. They fit more snugly in the narrow and wide holes in your chain. Because the teeth alternate, the rings are only available in even number tooth counts.
They usually are 9,10 and 11 speed compatible.

Top Bottom