2 + bikes, from South Wales to Hook of Holland - HOW ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Here is a site that might be handy for you, also posted to the sticky http://www.seat61.co...ke-by-train.htm

Thanks for this link. It has saved me a whole cartload of work figuring out how to get from Vienna back to the UK by train.

I enjoy using the train to get my tourer around the UK. I've only once had the misfortune of having to deal with a jobsworth but I didn't let it jaundice my views on an otherwise great rail service.

At first sight, trying to work one's way through the national rail network timetable and the rules regarding each operaters diffrent rolling stock, can be quite daunting, but if you work from start to finish taking each operater at a time, it become quite clear.

The problem I always find it is not the planning which is the problem; but some of the staff, the lower down the chain of command they are the more Numpty the seem to become.

At Carlisle station, last year I asked one of the Virgin staff, if he could open the luggage compartment door so I could load the Bike, bloody hell it seemed like then end of the world, going on about me delaying the train, then the twat shut the door, before I could get out to load my panniers.

Then complained because he had to reopen it, moaning that I had now delayed the train. Turned out he was the Cleaner.

The year before, having arrived back from Scotland On the night sleeper, cycled to St pancres station to get the First Capitial Connect service back to Crawley, the numpty on duty at the gate would not let me onto the Platforms, because it was peak period. Ok seemed reasonable, but of course thier platforms are not a terminal but a through service. The because he had refused me, he was refusing everyone else. we ended up with 20 odd bikes, 3 managers, 2 policemen and a few other staff, all with the rule book out trying to figure out the problem.

The easy way out would have been to send the numpty for a tea break, the police were all for letting us travel, but numpty was not having it.

After a hours discussing, they allowed all the other to travel, as theywere travelling within london, I had to wait a hour before being allowed.

LOL enouch to drive one crasy

At first sight, trying to work one's way through the national rail network timetable and the rules regarding each operaters diffrent rolling stock, can be quite daunting, but if you work from start to finish taking each operater at a time, it become quite clear.

The problem I always find it is not the planning which is the problem; but some of the staff, the lower down the chain of command they are the more Numpty the seem to become.

At Carlisle station, last year I asked one of the Virgin staff, if he could open the luggage compartment door so I could load the Bike, bloody hell it seemed like then end of the world, going on about me delaying the train, then the twat shut the door, before I could get out to load my panniers.

Then complained because he had to reopen it, moaning that I had now delayed the train. Turned out he was the Cleaner.

The year before, having arrived back from Scotland On the night sleeper, cycled to St Pancres station to get the First Capitial Connect service back to Crawley, the numpty on duty at the gate would not let me onto the Platforms, because it was peak period. Ok seemed reasonable, but of course thier platforms are not a terminal but a through service. Then because he had refused me, he was refusing everyone else. we ended up with 20 odd bikes, 3 managers, 2 policemen and a few other staff, all with the rule book out trying to figure out the problem.

The easy way out would have been to send the numpty for a tea break, the police were all for letting us travel, but numpty was not having it.

After a hours discussing, they allowed all the other to travel, as they were travelling within london, I had to wait a hour before being allowed.

LOL enouch to drive one crasy

Just a thought (as I am a Train Driver - not FGW though) and that is can you write to First explaining your plans, your very poor past experience and the manner in which your wife was rudely treated, and ask them for their guidance. For instance ask if you need to reserve seats and spaces for your bikes (play dumb here even though you may know) and ask if they could provide assistance for you at Port Talbot as you are very wary after your last troubles. Say you want to give FGW the benefit of the doubt and the ball is now in their court. They must reply, surely. I know at my place (Gatwick Express) you most certainly wouldn't have been treated so shoddily. Just as an aside, it's a shame you didn't get the Conductor's name as there is no way he should have been yelling at you or your wife and should be hauled over the coals. And I'm even more surprised you didn't get complimentary travel off 'em. Play the system for all it's worth mate.

Good luck and enjoy your trip,

Bill

Top Bottom