2 months without commuting!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
its been 2 months since i rode to work,this is due to Mrs R going back to work full time so i have to get home pronto for the kids,heres the differance.
i now sit in traffic every day in my car.
It costs me a fortune in petrol.
I have to scrape the ice of the car every morning.
i get stressed in the car.
my trousers are getting tight.
i feel even more exhausted every night than when i did my 40mile daily commute by bike.
i cant get out of bed in the morning
i just feel crap:sad:

PS where can you get trousers with elasticated waists??:thumbsup::biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get back on that bike......

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I found my times for getting home (for my nippers, when the missus was working) were way more reliable when I was commuting by bike than by other means....

OP
OP
G

gary r

Guru
John the Monkey said:
I found my times for getting home (for my nippers, when the missus was working) were way more reliable when I was commuting by bike than by other means....

its a 40 mile a day ride so it is quicker in the car,for the journey home anyway as i leave work at 4pm.

domtyler

Über Member
Marks and Spencer do the elasticated waist trousers, my work trousers are elastic and they are really comfy, especially after going for an Indian at lunch time! :thumbsup:

yenrod

Well, Gary, you could explain to the good lady that as much as you love her and the children you feel you’ve got a bit of ‘go’ left in you and you need to keep it that way and so need that ‘bit’ of exercise that will keep you going to provide for ‘fair kids.

Tynan

Veteran
selling a nice scooter ...

scooter used to be 40 mins, rock solid, trains was an hour to whatever, usually an hour and a quarter

bike is an hour tops, as low as 40 on a few flying with tailwind extravaganzas

scooter was good fun but I slowly got bored with it

and fat

Plax

Guru
gary r said:
I have to scrape the ice of the car every morning.:evil:

Yeah, I was all for driving in to work today. Then I looked out the window to check on the weather, saw all the ice and thought "sod it, I'll take the bike". Jolly glad I did as it was lovely cycling weather again today.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Why not commute two days by bike - see if your employers will let you leave early those days so you are home for the kid's pickup.... short lunch maybe..

I used to do a 40 miler round commute many moons ago as a mid twenty's fella - even that can get hard at that age.....

How long is it taking by car / bike .....

OP
OP
G

gary r

Guru
fossyant said:
Why not commute two days by bike - see if your employers will let you leave early those days so you are home for the kid's pickup.... short lunch maybe..

I used to do a 40 miler round commute many moons ago as a mid twenty's fella - even that can get hard at that age.....

How long is it taking by car / bike .....

it takes about 45 mins to an hour in the car going to work,a journey which took me about 1hr 10 on the bike plus time for a shower etc

going home takes about 40 mins in the car,On the bike about 1hr 20,generally more up hill on the way home plus the usual headwind,& add on another 10 mins getting changed into cycling gear before leaving.Thats not a bad idea,Im going to ask if i can leave 30 mins earlier 2 days a week.

I did my first cycle commute yesterday since October:ohmy: All went well. Fortunately I've been cycling just about every weekend and also going to the gym so my fitness levels are pretty good. 13.8 miles each way on a hybrid taking me just under an hour at a leisurely pace. First 8 miles is fairly flat but the last 5ish is pretty hilly. I intend to cycle to work once a week for the next couple of weeks then up it to 2/3 times a week from mid March (work schedule permitting as I sometimes have to do trips through to Fife or up to Aberdeen)

Top Bottom