2 new bikes or 1 new bike with 2 sets of wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah, I know. I was just being flippant. Ti is made to sound like the love-child of graphene and angel hair by some, being supposedly lighter and comfier than steel as well as comfier and better lookin than carbon, whilst not much heftier. Yours and @Onyer 's replies didn't make it sound all that better than either is all.
I expect it depends what Ti bike you get. Van Nic do some racy machines, but your budget would fall someway short of the frame, let alone everything else

Get yourself one of these and get training I guess http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p5167/CANNONDALE-CAAD10-ULTEGRA-DI2-BLACK-2013

It'll be as light as any carbon bike in the same price range

Or spend less on race oriented plastic http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p5473/CANNONDALE-SUPERSIX-EVO-105-6-2014

Or even more reduced if the right size http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p6199/CANNONDALE-SUPERSIX-ULTEGRA-DOUBLE-2013

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
What is the Over Locknut Distance (OLD) of disc CX bikes.
Road =130mm
MTB/Touring=135mm

Good question. I found this from a review of the Saracen Hack CX/gravel bike -
"the rear axle is a wide mountain bike over-locknut distance of 135mm, the standard for disc road bikes"
So from that I'd assume 135mm is standard for road disc and CX disc, but something worth checking with the manufacturers before buying anything, definately. I'm still really not sure if 2 sets of wheels is a go-er or if I just need to face up to changing tyres all the time....

Cheers.

That's not a bad idea - I was thinking of using the stock CX wheels for off-road and getting some lighter, quicker ones for road riding, but I guess a cheap set for off-road makes sense as I'll be less bothered about speed then and the wheels will be taking more of a hammering. That way I'd free up a couple of hundred extra for the bike itself which ought to mean I could get something with better wheels to start with, esp if I go for a frameset and wheels separately rather than buying an off the shelf bike. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, those are the wheels I have on my steel bike now. It comes with the CX versions depsite being a road bike.

Not sure as I don't have scales. The website quotes 10.55kg for the size up from mine, without pedals. It's not a heavy bike, and is certainly much lighter than anything I've had before. But compared to the carbon road bikes that I had a sly heft of last week at the club meet I reckon I'm carrying at least 2kg extra. Maybe much of that is in the differences in wheels and groupset between my bike and theirs,not just in the steel vs. carbon frame? That said, theirs are all dedicated road bikes (by the likes of Planet X, Ribble, Giant etc) whereas I'm now considering a carbon CX - are carbon CX bikes/frames generally a bit heavier than equivalent priced carbon road bikes for some reason? I would have thought only the disc brakes and wheels would be likely to carry extra weight rather than the frames themselves. Something for me to look into more closely I guess. But again, my dilemma is as much about best use of funds (and shed space!) as having a very light bike, so a kg here or there is not a deal breaker, so long as the bike(s) I buy allow(s) me to go off-road and includes an option that's noticeably lighter than what I'm riding right now.

Gah!! I never thought of this! I couldn't be faffed with swapping cassettes several times a week. If I was starting out with 2 new cassettes and 1 new chain though I reckon I'm OCD enough to record my mileage on each cassette and share the riding equally between the 2 wheelsets. Or is this what you once told yourself too?!

Thanks for the input everyone. More advice/experience on the two cassettes and chainwear issue would be appreciated if anyone else is riding 2 sets of wheels. I'm off to look more closely at carbon CX frame weights and budget off-road wheelsets. Cheers.

Removing a cassette is easier than removing a tyre and tube IMO. I agree with the other bloke about separate cassettes and wear rates. Just swap the cogs over and no longer worry about wear rates.

Top Bottom