2 older guys planning E2E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
taximan

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Another question if I may, we both rather fancy following the Clyde Walkway from say, Strathclyde Loch to the Erskine Bridge. Is this feasible bearing in mind we will be fully loaded with camping gear etc.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I'm sorry I can't answer that question but I'm sure someone on here will be familiar with the pathway.

Having done LEJOG and LEJOGLE myself, the one bit of advice is about feeling tired on day 2 and 3. It always happens, don't be alarmed and with a bit rest your fitness and stamina will build during the trip. Good luck.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Another question if I may, we both rather fancy following the Clyde Walkway from say, Strathclyde Loch to the Erskine Bridge. Is this feasible bearing in mind we will be fully loaded with camping gear etc.
Be aware of the Clyde Walkway, some bits are impassable on a bike.
There is a new shared use bridge (a twisty one, of course!) now from Strathclyde Park that connects the route to Glasgow.
So: once you are in the park follow the signs for the cycling route, some are a bit hidden, but ask the locals to direct you towards Uddingston.
The not so straight forward bit is to get from Strathclyde Park to Uddingston train station, from where you can follow the NCR all the way to Erskine.
Do not enter the Walkway at Blantyre (David Livingston centre), it's impassable on a bike, enter at Uddingston.
If you can find the link from Strathclyde park (it meanders among a housing estate) to Uddingston you are sorted: no major gates that I can remember, just one big hill at Farm Road (just before Newton), then plain sailing to Erskine bridge.
1) from Strathclyde Park to Uddingston, via the new bridge and the cycling route.
Alternatively you could also take the linking path from Strathclyde park to Hamilton's Chatelerau park, then take the main road from Hamilton to Cambuslang, to enter the Walkway at Cambuslang.
This option entrails some big hills on busy main roads.
2) from Uddingston, follow the forest path up to the castle in ruins, cross the road (signposted) into a big downhill immediately followed by a big hill.
3) on top of the hill you will have an isolated house on your left: carry on to a mini roundabout (Newton), exit first left, carry on downhill, keep left (pass the railway bridge on your left), the path carries on by mounting a dropped kerb on the left, behind a row of houses, it's sign posted.
The next exit (Cambuslang) has a big Morrissons, with cafe and toilets, should you wish a break.
If not, carry on following the path - it will join the Clyde later.
Next stop, you you wish, is a big Tesco - exit the path at the Cunigar Loop, Dalmarnock, sign, then rejoin at the other side.
There are construction works at this point, the path on the other side might be interrupted, maybe you'll have to cross the road on foot again if you stop at Tesco's.
If not, carry on till Glasgow Green, follow the river till the Sec, the transport museum, signposted Loch Lomond.
There are a set of steps under the railway bridge of Central station, you can ride round them over the bridge.
At the transport museum don't ride the underpass, but stay on the shared pavement that goes over to Loch Lomond, I can't remember if there are signs.
From there, keep following the signs to Balloch/Loch Lomond: there is a crossing a couple of miles further.
Exit the path at Erskine Bridge (the exit immediately before you face the bridge), cross the road into a segregated path to get over it.
Now, the entrance to the bridge is through a twisty, sharp right turn: you may to have to walk the loaded bikes there.
Same when you come of it.
Beware of the main road, it's very busy.
There is also ferry that takes you to Erskine, but the ride up the bridge is worth it for the views.
If you pass through on my day off, I will ride with you, meet at Newton!
Any more info I could help you with, don't hesitate to ask!
Well done on the enterprise!

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

Hi Pat 5mph
Many thanks for your suggestions. Looking at the route you suggest, I think joining route 75 at Newton station would be a good option for us. It would be great if you could ride with us for a while, I imagine that by the time we reach your part of the world my pal and I will probably have just about run out of subjects to argue about. The thing is we probably won't know what day we will be passing through until a day or two beforehand. As a point of interest, what is your day off?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The thing is we probably won't know what day we will be passing through until a day or two beforehand. As a point of interest, what is your day off?
I work shifts, they vary from week to week.
If you know, nearer the time, when you are going to be in Newton, drop me a PM.
I'll try to get the day off, ride with you from Newton to Erskine bridge.
Find out where you want to go from Erskine bridge, and I'll ask the ones over the water to draw a route, maybe to meet you: I know a few retired cyclists in that area that could help.
Me, I'm only 56, still working full time :cry:

jay clock

Massive member
@taximan hope planning going well. If I am not working I plan to set off on Monday 20th May from LE to JOG. 2-3 weeks. I am using more or less the RAB Deloitte route. I have full gpx files if you want them. Route is across the Severn and west of Pennines.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

Hi jay clock.
Many thanks for your kind offer, however, I have spent quite a lot of time creating and tweaking a route using the plot a route site which I think should serve. Our planning is now all but complete and I think we have just about everything that we will need for our trip. We have had a number of rides, fully loaded and have found the bikes heavy, but manageable and now we are really looking forward to the trip.
Enjoy your trip and don't forget to say hello as you overtake us ;)

1716 C2C on wheels 2012 Day 1.JPG

Coast to Coast may 2012

Top Bottom