2 rides in 1 day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pricey14

Regular
I've entered an Olympic distance tri in June and just wondered what people's thoughts are on doing 2 x 20km tempo rides per day (to and from work) a couple of times per week to improve my bike speed? Obviously I wouldn't want to do it too often and risk overtraining but just wondering if anyone has done this themselves and how did you find it? I'd also include a longer ride on weekends. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

It all depends on how it fits in with your training plan and on what stage of the plan you're working. Show us where in the plan it fits in and we'll comment.

OP
OP
P

Pricey14

Regular
Well as far as the bike goes, that is my only plan at the moment! Unfortunately I do not have much time spare to go on longer rides after work due to other commitments, so was looking to kill 2 birds with 1 stone by cycling in and out of work! I guess what I'm looking for is - am I allowing myself enough recovery time (7 hours) between each ride, or would I just be better off doing just one slightly longer ride every few days.

OP
OP
P

Pricey14

Regular
Do able, i have a 10 mile/ 16 km ride each way and a manual job .

Thamks for your reply, do you cycle in at tempo? Or do you just take it easy? I'm sure I could easily do it at a low intensity, but never tried 2 rides in 1 day at a higher intensity!

S-Express

I've entered an Olympic distance tri in June and just wondered what people's thoughts are on doing 2 x 20km tempo rides per day (to and from work) a couple of times per week to improve my bike speed? Obviously I wouldn't want to do it too often and risk overtraining but just wondering if anyone has done this themselves and how did you find it? I'd also include a longer ride on weekends. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
You're unlikely to 'overtrain' on 26 miles per day. Any riding you do is going to help. Whether that is the most appropriate use of your time is hard to say, based on the limited info you've given us.

si_c

Guru
I'd suggest that interval training with a turbo is more likely to achieve the desired improvements than a high speed ride to work. My commute is 13miles each way and I can go at a fair clip along most of it, but traffic lights, junctions and general traffic means it's more of a relaxed ride than if I could spend the 40minutes or so doing specific training.

Dreamer21

Hi I recently started riding in from work currently doing about 18.9miles - 20 miles each way 4 days on the in row since early feb. I have noticed major improvements I'm able to get into work 1 hour and 4min roughly now and down from 1 hour 15mins and I still weigh 98kg as last week on day three I felt the most tired and decided to start taking recovery drink which was amazing for the evening ride home I felt like super man again like in the morning so now just a much of sis recovery to help me durneing the day time but going to start eating better and lose some weight which should increase my time but my average is about 17.6mph

Alan O

Über Member
I'd suggest that interval training with a turbo is more likely to achieve the desired improvements than a high speed ride to work. My commute is 13miles each way and I can go at a fair clip along most of it, but traffic lights, junctions and general traffic means it's more of a relaxed ride than if I could spend the 40minutes or so doing specific training.
That sounds sensible to me too. Most of my riding since my return has been on cyclepaths/mixed-use paths. They're great, and I hadn't realised there was so much accessible here - I have a 30-mile-ish city circuit lined up that will probably be only about 25% on road.

But it's not high-speed riding, and I really want to get my speed up. We have some very good roads here in Liverpool - even most of the major roads have decently wide lanes, mostly good surfaces, and good visibility, and I've been working out a few routes on those. But the problem is there are always traffic lights every few hundred metres, and I barely get my speed up before I'm having to slow down for the next set.

I have a turbo which I haven't used much yet, and it's going to be hard to stay indoors and use that now that the weather is improving, but I really think I need to get a few session on it.

Alan

Top Bottom