2 tyre related questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
1. how do you fix a tubless tyre? Can you just roughen up the inside and stick a patch for an inner tube or is there some specail (usually mena expensive) kit?

2. how do you get a very tight tyre onto a rim? (schalbe)? I have in the past broken platic levers getting tyres on and since this is not my tyre/wheel, don't want to nd up doing that. I do have a pair of motorcycle levers so I guesss I may need to use those.

PpPete

Legendary Member
02GF74 said:
1. how do you fix a tubless tyre? Can you just roughen up the inside and stick a patch for an inner tube or is there some specail (usually mena expensive) kit?.

The theory is that the sealant, which is an integral part of the tubeless system, will seal the hole. Never tried it though so can't say if it works, although did see a video on youtube with guy riding repeatedly over nails.

02GF74 said:
2. how do you get a very tight tyre onto a rim? (schalbe)? I have in the past broken platic levers getting tyres on and since this is not my tyre/wheel, don't want to nd up doing that. I do have a pair of motorcycle levers so I guesss I may need to use those.

Make sure tyre is warm. Small amount of talcum powder on the bead.
Plastic levers are for getting tyres off, thumbs are for putting tyres on.
Metal levers should be reserved for steel wheels

tyred

Legendary Member
I've used metal levers on alloy wheels without causing any problems. You'd have to be very cack handed to damage a rim putting a tyre on or off.

spence

Über Member
If the hole is too large for sealant then I use a repair kit from Panaracer to plug the hole.

http://www.cyclesuk.com/339-526027

There are a number of this type around including sticky string......:biggrin:

Soapy water and work the tyre on either side of the wheel away from you to effectively stretch it around the rim.

country joe

porkypete said:
The theory is that the sealant, which is an integral part of the tubeless system, will seal the hole. Never tried it though so can't say if it works, although did see a video on youtube with guy riding repeatedly over nails.

Make sure tyre is warm. Small amount of talcum powder on the bead.
Plastic levers are for getting tyres off, thumbs are for putting tyres on.
Metal levers should be reserved for steel wheels
i fitted a really tight tyre yesterday, having to replace the tube as i nipped it, i phoned my local cycle shop who advised me to put on the tyre without the tube this was difficult the tyre being so tight, but i managed it,
Leave it on overnight in the house to stretch, then the next day i applied talc, dusted the tube and inside the tyre, although i still had to use plastic levers for the last wee bit i did manage it,
There is no way i could have put this tyre on using my fingers and im not a wimp.
A Var tyre lever arrived this morning and it looks the biz.
Its plastic and will fit in my small bag, it has a normal lever in the inside that comes out, you then have like a wishbone one end has a hook which goes on to the part of the tyre you want to pull over,the other fits on the rim,
And im told you just pull it over, suppose to be easy.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
The talc thing was debated on here recently, and (it seemed to me) was proven to be a bad thing.
There's an article in this week's comic on tubeless tyres and how to fit them.

Top Bottom