2 weeks holiday and lost all my fitness and strength!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rock bus

Über Member
Just been on a 2 weeks holiday and have now really struggled on two club rides which normally would’ve been relatively comfortable.
Admittedly was 2 weeks of crap food and alcohol overindulgence but wouldn’t have expected it to have had this big an impact.

Is this normal and what’s the best way of getting back on track?
For first time in while I haven’t enjoyed the rides

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just ride. A couple of weeks back in the normal routine will sort you out :okay:

CXRAndy

Guru
You will lose peak fitness in a week, endurance will fall away 2weeks to a month . It will come back quickly with return of training.

I've been on an extended holiday, I've tried to keep a little fitness with spin bikes, squats and press ups

gbb

Legendary Member
Perhaps you really did abuse yourself (food and drinks etc) because while I always worried about how a week or two layoff would effect me...in reality it was the opposite for me, I'd find it all really quite good, no lethargy etc.

Perhaps your carrying a bit of a virus without realising it...another possibility.

Drago

Legendary Member
The booze is the killer. Some of these drinks are 3 course meals in a pint glass calorie wise, and the alcohol is murderous to the cardiopulthingywingy system.

Reactions: gbb

nickAKA

Über Member
I start fretting about my fitness if I go 4 days without riding, but that sort of break can be a real tonic for the legs.
2 weeks would definitely be too much for me to do no riding at all, I'd be climbing the walls. Maybe next time try to hire a bike for a few days just to keep your hand in?

You'll soon pull it back I'm sure.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm currently laid up with a broken collar bone. Two weeks off doesn't usually affect me too much but this will be a month I reckon.

Top Bottom