2 x £60 Ebay arrivals.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Supplied by an insurance company after a loss 8 years ago, hung in a bedroom ever since, never ridden. It was 10 minutes walk from my house too. Dusted it down, lubricated everything and then had a faultless and smooth 20 mile canal trip last night, it needs nothing. I missed out on exactly the same Giant Rincon 21" bike that sold for £102 a week ago, this was mis-described and I paid £60. :okay:
giant-rincon.jpg

I've been looking for steel bike or frame to make another tourer, but it seems everybody else is too and bargains appear non-existent. I want an old steel bike because I have a lackadaisical attitude to security on tour and want an "unattractive" bike. I saw this Ridgeback Adventure, steel Tange frame and remembered a poster on here had similar and spoke highly of it. The owner wanted £100, but with worn cogs, chain, cassette and wheels I paid £60. @raleighnut has given me some good information and I've ordered all the above from my LBS. I've good rack in the garage and some part worn M+'s too I hope to have it in tourer mode for £200. :okay:

$_12.JPG

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Nice finds :smile:

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
It all turned out well in the end, although I went a little over budget. I've still nook and cranny cleaning to do but the drab matt purple paint is now a sparkling metallic and it now has new wheels, chain, cogs and cassette, continental touring tyres and old Topeak rack. I could do with a new seat, it has nicks and I don't like it anyway, then just some comfier grips and it's sorted. Many thanks to @raleighnut for the information.

£208 in total.:okay:

adventure2.jpg

adventure1.jpg

Attachments

• adventure2.jpg
    adventure2.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 35
  • adventure1.jpg
    adventure1.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 28

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It all turned out well in the end, although I went a little over budget. I've still nook and cranny cleaning to do but the drab matt purple paint is now a sparkling metallic and it now has new wheels, chain, cogs and cassette, continental touring tyres and old Topeak rack. I could do with a new seat, it has nicks and I don't like it anyway, then just some comfier grips and it's sorted. Many thanks to @raleighnut for the information.

£208 in total.:okay:

adventure2.jpg

adventure1.jpg
What does it ride like, mine is a real mile-eater, pretty quick but its forte is just rolling on in comfort and up there with a well sorted Dawes IMO.
Looks a beauty BTW. :becool:

Attachments

• adventure2.jpg
    adventure2.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 31
  • adventure1.jpg
    adventure1.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
What does it ride like, mine is a real mile-eater, pretty quick but its forte is just rolling on in comfort and up there with a well sorted Dawes IMO.
Looks a beauty BTW. :becool:

Thanks, that's what I am hoping for as a determined plodder, a mile eater. :okay: I've only ridden it 2 miles, it's certainly nimbler than my other, more modern alu hybrids, but then again they are all shod with 35mm M+'s. I'll be having a 50 mile day out to Skipton next week and will report back. :smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@MarkF i like that Ridgeback there is a similar one for sale on Oxford Gumtree at the mo

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
@MarkF i like that Ridgeback there is a similar one for sale on Oxford Gumtree at the mo

Buy it then. :smile: 3 years ago I needed a bike quick for my cousin, he was flying in from Oz to ride across Spain with me, but he's 6'5" and suitable bikes were few and far between. I stumbled upon another steel tange framed Ridgeback, a Bullit XL, I think the only difference is that the Bullit has a double chainring not a triple, I will look because it's still in my cellar. Anyway............we were both impressed with it as we rode across Spain, a far more sturdy machine than the Specialized Sirrus that I was riding.

Today he donated his 2 week used Charge seat to me as it was too hard for him, I've fitted a comfort seat to his bike, so it's still £208 with only comfier bar grips to fit now. :okay:

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Buy it then. :smile: 3 years ago I needed a bike quick for my cousin, he was flying in from Oz to ride across Spain with me, but he's 6'5" and suitable bikes were few and far between. I stumbled upon another steel tange framed Ridgeback, a Bullit XL, I think the only difference is that the Bullit has a double chainring not a triple, I will look because it's still in my cellar. Anyway............we were both impressed with it as we rode across Spain, a far more sturdy machine than the Specialized Sirrus that I was riding.

Today he donated his 2 week used Charge seat to me as it was too hard for him, I've fitted a comfort seat to his bike, so it's still £208 with only comfier bar grips to fit now. :okay:

if i wasnt heading in oppisite direction 2moro i would http://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/m...frame-suit-tall-person-198cm-plus-/1117265307

Top Bottom