2 years without a puncture and then .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boyfrom64

Veteran
Went out for a quick ride (20 miles) with a friend last night and got two punctures!!

I suppose it was bound to happen at sometime but I ended up having to push my bike home for the last three miles as my wife had gone out and was not contactable so she could not come and pick me up and I had already used the spare tube that I was carrying for the first puncture.

Overall, I still count myself lucky that I have gone two years without any trouble and if I can go another two years before getting another puncture I will be well happy.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
2 years.... that's good going...

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
"Whats that over there Mrs P Fairy" ? (I point over her shoulder, she turns round in haste) Now quick, while she's distracted, my last puncture was September 2010. I rode for a long while without patches, tubes or even a pump. I now however carry my pump everywhere and have brought some self adhesive patches, my time must be coming around.....

OP
OP
Boyfrom64

Boyfrom64

Veteran
The tyres are Specialized All Condition, which are the original tyres that came with the bike when I brought it two years ago. Not that the punctures have influenced it, but I have been thinking about replacing the tyres and will be doing so now

On top of a spare tube I will now be carrying a pack of the self adhesives patches for backup.

As I said, I think I have done well to go two years without a puncture, and I will be very pleased if I can go a similar length of time in the future.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Spesh All Condition tyres a great for commuting but for 2 downsides.
1: They are like riding through treacle
2: When they start to go off.. they go off quick.

OP
OP
Boyfrom64

Boyfrom64

Veteran
Ian you are quite right. They have been great in terms of resistance to punctures but they are not the best when it comes to rolling resistance.

As well as changing my tyres I am also looking to upgrade to some better wheels as well.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Are you sure you removed the sharp (assuming the 1st was caused by a sharp) after the 1st puncture? That could have caused the second one if you didn't!

Herbie

Veteran
Went out for a quick ride (20 miles) with a friend last night and got two punctures!!

I suppose it was bound to happen at sometime but I ended up having to push my bike home for the last three miles as my wife had gone out and was not contactable so she could not come and pick me up and I had already used the spare tube that I was carrying for the first puncture.

Overall, I still count myself lucky that I have gone two years without any trouble and if I can go another two years before getting another puncture I will be well happy.

Can't remember last time i had a puncture...since buying my Dawes Galaxy 6 years ago i haven't suffered any punctures thanks to Marathon Plus tyres...on my second set of tyres now but just because of wear and tear...i have a lot confidence in them...2 years is still a good long spell without any misfortune

OP
OP
Boyfrom64

Boyfrom64

Veteran
Rob, you hit the nail on the head; well thorn to be exact. In my haste to get going again quickly, I did not check the tyre fully to see if the sharp object was still embedded in it, which it proved to be; interestingly it took just over 12 miles of ridding for it to have an affect. Since getting home, I have found the thorn, removed it and checked the tyre to make sure that there were no other sharp objects still in there before fitting a new tube.

I have manged to patch the tube that punctured which I will be carrying as a spare, along with some self adhesive patches as a further backup.

Davidc

Guru
..... along with some self adhesive patches as a further backup.

I've used those patches in anger a couple of times (albeit at home to repair the removed tubes), and one of the tubes has been back in use (on my round-town mtb) for a couple of years without any sign of trouble.

I had the tyre off before Christmas to do spoke tightening and truing and had a look - it looks very well attached and is hard to find, so I reckon that if those take well they're as good as rubber and adhesive.

One complaint - the boxes are so small and light that I lose them. Suggestions welcome.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I've used those patches in anger a couple of times (albeit at home to repair the removed tubes), and one of the tubes has been back in use (on my round-town mtb) for a couple of years without any sign of trouble.

I had the tyre off before Christmas to do spoke tightening and truing and had a look - it looks very well attached and is hard to find, so I reckon that if those take well they're as good as rubber and adhesive.

One complaint - the boxes are so small and light that I lose them. Suggestions welcome.

Put them in a larger heavier box!

Top Bottom