20+20+10 mlies, or 50

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

inaperfectworld

last winter i commuted the long way from a university course and did 3 journeys of 20+20+10 miles a week plus oddments hither and thither. during the summer there was no course and i was doing a run of 50 miles about every 10 days and a few bits of miles inbetween. funny thing is that i felt much fitter for having done a long ride less frequently. is this likely to be the case?

col

Legendary Member
I think what a lot of people dont realise,is you need to give your body recovery time,so what you did may have done this,with out you realising it,so feeling fitter?

Mortiroloboy

Personally I believe in getting as much time on the bike as I can, so I do the Sunday Club run 50-60 miles and a mid week run usually with out a stop for coffee 30-40 miles. I am not able to get out more often due to work/life balance, but I think that is about right for me.

Blonde

Yes it's normal. Commuting every day does wear you down gradually, so that by the time the weekend comes round you've nowt left. It's a good idea to skip a commuting ride every so often (and go to work/uni by a different means) in order to get some recovery time in and recharge your physical and mental batteries for a longer weekend ride.

I do 26 miles a day five days a week commuting to and from work, then try to ride 50-100 miles on one day at the weekend, but sometimes I go out at the weekend and I'm just too tired from the commute to perform well or enjoy it.

Top Bottom