20 cm from Death - Outcome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 1259208"]
I don't think they would have, that's the glorious thing about the human body it can take care of itself sometimes without the need for a thought process.
[/quote]

correct.

hence the need to think more whenm its snowy weather and not use the front brake at all

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Aye, there was no thought in my reaction at all, just instinctive reaction. Perhaps a more novice rider would have panicked, but I would suspect most seasoned riders would have managed the stop in a similar fashion.

Where I was lucky, was that I had changed the stock brake pads that came with the Ribble to koolstops a few days before. That might well have mad a metre of a difference......

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 1259211"]
You can use the front brake in the snow - just make sure the bike is in a straight line.
[/quote]

till it locks up and spills you onto the tarmac. i speak from bitter experience many many years ago

classic33

Leg End Member
As far as I am aware the driver said he didn't see me at all. I agree, this in itself is an admission of guilt, however, I might only get to the bottom of this through the PF.

Does anyone in the know, know if it is possible for me to get any access or details on the statement of the driver?

Try a request under the freedom of information act. Worked down here, Yorkshire, for me. Although the police were non to happy.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Try a request under the freedom of information act. Worked down here, Yorkshire, for me. Although the police were non to happy.

You managed to get the drivers statement under freedom of information? I wouldn't have thought that was possible. How did you word your request?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Guys,

A heads up that there will be an article in the Sunday Times tomorrow. You'll be glad to know it isn't just about me and my incident, there is another member of this very forum who will be in the article as well. I'll let him announce who he is.

Fingers crossed it is a good article!:smile:

thomas

the tank engine
Guys,

A heads up that there will be an article in the Sunday Times tomorrow. You'll be glad to know it isn't just about me and my incident, there is another member of this very forum who will be in the article as well. I'll let him announce who he is.

Someone scan and PM me a copy please....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
...it'll be too cold to walk to the paper shop tomorrow morning :smile:

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 54
Might even go out and get a copy of the ST! The roads are clear of snow now and I can get on the bike :thumbsup:

I would say the outcome is 'disappointing' rather than 'disgraceful' - these things happen so often in our legal systems (English as well as Scots) and getting off for a clear offence is just too common. Maybe the driver's employers (was he an employee or self-employed?) will have had 'words' internally. Or possibly the driver's clients?

After I witnessed a collision between two cars in April (myself being overtaken by one of them), I made a point of saying to the police "I strongly suspect that <so and so> was Driving without Due Care and Attention". Those were my words. The officer noted this, and said to me that, "since there were no injuries" (in fact the other driver was badly shaken in my judgement, but he refused any medical attention and probably didn't say so to the cop), it was unlikely to go any further, even though I counted as (so I assumed) and 'independent witness'. And so it was. I've heard nothing since, not from any party. And I do have an interest in seeing stupid driving like I witnessed, curbed. We all have.

PBancroft

Will be buying a copy of the ST, just hope it doesn't go the way of "cyclists are a danger on the roads and this is what happens to them"

Guys,

Sheepishly raises hand. It was me. I think due to having some success in a prosecution magnatom mentioned my experiences to the reporter. I had previously been wary of making much of my success as I thought it was a fairly muddled example of achieving some sort of justice (I still don't know the sentencing outcome). But seeing the difficulties that magnatom and others (for example Bollo and his right turning Volvo) have had in getting their evidence of bad driving and aggression taken seriously, I now really don't think it's worth waiting for the 'perfect' video incident to highlight the current justice system's deficiencies - there's too much at stake. magnatom's got form in making a positive difference through publicity and campaigning and I think his approach backed up with what I think should be a balanced piece is what is going to get cyclists' concerns about safety and enforcement best aired. I was happy to help, I just hope my waffling made some sort of sense.

classic33

Leg End Member
You managed to get the drivers statement under freedom of information? I wouldn't have thought that was possible. How did you word your request?

Wording used was blunt & to the point. I'd been mucked about for over three years, by the police, over the incident. What was got was a photocopy of the statement with the sensitive parts blacked out. Parts such as the force headquarters, where the request was sent to. Drivers name & address, as given. But by that stage I knew more about him than the police did.

Driver that hit me mistook me for a bus, so felt safe to drive into me, me being a bus.

Consider also the pocketbooks that were carried by the officer(s) who will have visited the driver to get his side of the story, before any official statement was taken. Find out who they were & request copies of their notebooks as well. Heavily edited of course.

What you may also want to consider doing, given the other course of action your taking is to wait it out. Getting that information now could put you in a bad light.

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 1259215"]
Sorry but that's human error and nothing to do with the bike. If you have gripped the front brake so hard that the front wheel locks then methinks you were going a bit to fast for the conditions?
[/quote]

not entirely true thats the laws of physics applying . if the braking mech applies more friction than the road it will lock up easily. One of Newtons laws I beleive ;)

and granted, at 14 you generally think you are invincible and do ride a little differently than a near 40 yr old :smile:

thomas

the tank engine
not entirely true thats the laws of physics applying . if the braking mech applies more friction than the road it will lock up easily. One of Newtons laws I beleive ;)

and granted, at 14 you generally think you are invincible and do ride a little differently than a near 40 yr old :smile:

I reckon it's true. The only time I've locked a wheel up was from pulling my brakes too hard...and generally on a slightly wet road surface.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

[QUOTE 1259225"]
Link to the ST article?
[/quote]

MP, you have to pay for access to ST, so I don't think links work!

Top Bottom