20" fixed wheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rhythm Thief

Veteran
Do they exist? And if so, anyone know where I can get one? I've bought an old Raleigh Twenty today and am going to turn it into a little fixed runabout.:biggrin:

mickle

innit
I think you'll have to get it built RT.

BMX tend to be "406" as do recumbents, some also use "451", but tyres are less available and restrictive.There are also 438 and 440 sizes available

Go for a "406" and there is a wide range.

The only problem you may have is brakes, and the different depth as the bike probably has 451 due too its age, but then again with a fixed this only a problem on the front. Try and see, if the worst comes to the worst then you may need to get a "deep drop brake" such as the Alhonga

OP
OP
Rhythm Thief

Rhythm Thief

Veteran
I might make it a singlespeed instead then. The chances of me ever getting round to having a wheel built are small, to say the least. Cheers for the info, folks ... I'm off to ebay.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
If your going to turn it into a singlespeed, but want a fixed, why dont you just get a sprocket and lock it onto the hub with some locktite(or whatever those hipsters use) or do what i do and just put the sprocket on very tight?

Joe24

Radius said:
Because it might come off Joe...

Oh ok, thats why the sprocket on my mess about fixed has come off then...............
And thats why some people ride without lockrings when they could do.........
If its put on tight enough it shouldnt move, and, as i thought you would know Radius, if you put some locktite(or whatever it is called) on then it will lock the sprocket onto the hub, and it wont move.

Radius

SHREDDER
Sure, but I'd rather put some Locktite (yes that's what it's called) and a lockring on just to be sure...might as well!

Joe24

Radius said:
Sure, but I'd rather put some Locktite (yes that's what it's called) and a lockring on just to be sure...might as well!

Why:wacko:
I just have a lockring on my good bike, no lockring on the TT bike, or my mess about fixed.
You've got more of a chance of your chain coming off and locking your back wheel then the sprocket coming off.

Top Bottom