20 MPH Neighbourhood Resources

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
One of the roles I have had at work was to look at ‘probe’ data, basically your car, your phone and your sat nav reporting back what they are doing. You would be surprised to see that on average driving is well below the speed limit, the majority of journeys will see the breaking of a speed limit, but very few people consistently drive above a speed limit. Where a limit is lowered you do see by the majority of drivers slowing down and It happens pretty much immediately that the signs go up.

D

Deleted member 26715

One of the roles I have had at work was to look at ‘probe’ data, basically your car, your phone and your sat nav reporting back what they are doing. You would be surprised to see that on average driving is well below the speed limit, the majority of journeys will see the breaking of a speed limit, but very few people consistently drive above a speed limit. Where a limit is lowered you do see by the majority of drivers slowing down and It happens pretty much immediately that the signs go up.
Not surprised at all as most journeys involve a lot of not moving

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm in a 20mph zone, that's been one for over five years. The signage has made little if any difference. Even the police seldom stick to the limit, often over by 50%.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
There are 5 of the speed alert signs which show you how fast you are going, I sometimes stand for 10 minutes when out with the dog to see what will be the fastest I observe on that day. Usually most cars are doing 35-37mph, a lesser number doing 31-33mph, only a few doing under 30mph, normally I'll observe at least 1 over 40mph, but saw a new record the other day 58mph, this is 250 yards before a pedestrian refuge/pinch point where there have already been 3 fatalities, with a junior school another 300 yards past.
58mph - you're not really trying!!

Our council publish the figures from the sensors monthly The one near me is showing 65mph last month. It's on the main road into a residential estate and placed immediately before a light controlled pedestrian crossing. I don't check the figures every month, but the highest I've spotted was in excess of 80mph. The road isn't a route to anywhere, apart from accessing residential properties you can only turn around and retrace your route.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm in a 20mph zone, that's been one for over five years. The signage has made little if any difference. Even the police seldom stick to the limit, often over by 50%.
Same sign I mentioned up thread I once watched a Police vehicle go through at 42mph, I sent an email into the Chief Constable asking under what circumstances it was acceptable for a Police vehicle not running sirens & lights to break the speed limit. After much too'ing & fro'ing they claim to have identified the vehicle & driver, then went on to claim that all their vehicles were fitted with vehicle tracking & the vehicle in question at that time was only doing 32mph. I then suggested there must either be a serious problem with either the sign or the GPS in the vehicle, I then went onto advise that I had tested the sign & found it accurate, would they loan me the vehicle to test, I never heard back from them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
20 MPH limit at the end of our road. Most ignore it, despite passing a school, and most just don't seem to care about suspension damage hitting the sleeping policemen !

Two local village centres have had the big bolt on speed humps installed - it's lead to it becoming a slalom as drivers avoid them - they aren't great for bikes TBH, as you've got to avoid hitting them on the road bike, especially if wet.

D

Deleted member 26715

Mamdstory GPS speed limiting on all new vehicles. Job done.
I like that idea, if they start in 10 years time which is how long it will take manufactures to get in line, then 15 years after that before I would be looking to buy a vehicle with one fitted, I will have either given up driving or will be dead so it doesn't affect me.

Although in the event of social unrest the US military will switch off GPS, what would then happen to all the cars, would they fail to move until GPS signal has been received. Taking it further if you stopped in a tunnel would you be able to get going again without signal sync?

Drago

Legendary Member
It actually starts in a year or two. Unfortunately, its half arsed - the driver will be able to override it by stamping on the loud pedal in case theyre overtaking and the inside vehicle speeds up. This is patently stupid, because now the inside vehicle will also be able to do the same and they're back to square one.

I think the EU system is a combination of GPS and road sign recognition, so it should still work if GPS goes down using the cars on board speed measuring. Mind you, if the US encrypt high resolution GPS because of a major conflict etc then speed enforcement will probably be the last of our worries.

Reactions: mjr
Is 20mph i good idea? In general yes it is because most accidents happen at an lower speeds i havent personally tested it but i reckon a car hurts less at 20mph then at 30mph. But i think the most important thing i getting people to understand the reasoning behind a speed restriction whether it is 50, 30, 20, or even slower. And also consistency if we drive to a a town a bit further there are at least 3 places where you may drive 70mph for barely 200ft after which it becomes 50mph. That is silly and they how you get frustrated people, so a better approach in this example would be one speed limit of 50mph. That does require councils and county council and so on to work together i noticed that is quite hard, apparently.
But within estates i thing you need an different approach, make all those connecting roads 20mph and all those little roads within estates some equivalent off the dutch term/traffic law ''woonerf''' which means cars only may drive at pedestrian speed(which is 15km/h) and pedestrians may walk anywhere on the road. (this was introduced i believe somewhere in the 80'' to encourage children playing outside and enhance social contacts etc.) Prioritizing other road users above cars in thise case does much more than yet a other speed limit because the focus moves from ''how fast may i drive here'' to what on the road in front of me..

But within estates i thing you need an different approach, make all those connecting roads 20mph and all those little roads within estates some equivalent off the dutch term/traffic law ''woonerf''' which means cars only may drive at pedestrian speed(which is 15km/h) and pedestrians may walk anywhere on the road. (this was introduced i believe somewhere in the 80'' to encourage children playing outside and enhance social contacts etc.) Prioritizing other road users above cars in thise case does much more than yet a other speed limit because the focus moves from ''how fast may i drive here'' to what on the road in front of me..
I wish you luck selling dutch-named traffic schemes to a UK motorist in 2021 ...

It actually starts in a year or two. Unfortunately, its half arsed - the driver will be able to override it by stamping on the loud pedal in case theyre overtaking and the inside vehicle speeds up. This is patently stupid, because now the inside vehicle will also be able to do the same and they're back to square one.

I think the EU system is a combination of GPS and road sign recognition, so it should still work if GPS goes down using the cars on board speed measuring. Mind you, if the US encrypt high resolution GPS because of a major conflict etc then speed enforcement will probably be the last of our worries.
It's a bit stupid idea anyway, scooters have these things in them for years,more recently ebikes too and for both of them if you spend a bit of money you can have a chip/exhaust/etc. installed that circumvents these limits. (and looks like factory setting with a flip of a button)

Top Bottom