1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20 mph speed limit on the way?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Cab, 16 Oct 2007.

1. Cab

Cab New Member

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I have no problem with that.

3. Cab

Cab New Member

Me neither, in general it seems like a decent idea. Its going to send some people completely batty though.

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

It's a shame, because if people could just get over themselves and accept it the roads would be a much better place.

It's only rebellion and being told what to do that upsets.

Go somewhere where the road culture has accepted that roads aren't just for cars and you'll see the difference.

5. Cab

Cab New Member

I quite agree, there is something peculiar about some nationalities, the British included, whereby we seem to have largely accepted the ascendancy of the car as the only way to get about.

6. vbc

vbc Guest

7. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

VBC, erm.... did you read the original post?

Be intersting to see what jeremy thinks of it on 'top gear':biggrin::biggrin:

8. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Sorry, I should have said. VBC started an identical thread, so I merged the two. I couldn't find the bit where you could put in an explanation.

9. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

So who started first, so we can spend several posts berating the other for not doing a 'search' first:biggrin::biggrin:

10. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

I think it's a good idea, but not for a safety perspective but from the perspective that it will encourage more people to cycle as they will keep seeing bikes overtaking them more, and will take the "well if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" stance.

Although I think Jon Perez has got a good point on the BBC HYS:
    This would undoubtedly reduce the number of deaths drastically. The politically correct mumbo-jumbo liberal brigade will whinge that "civil liberties are being eroded" and that "rights are being trampled on", but it's for everyone's benefit.

and, masterEloso has got a good point aswell:

11. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

thinking about it if they did have 20mph limits in towns it'd mean i'd only have to use 2 different gears in my van most of the time, 'high' and 'low' :rolleyes: :biggrin:

12. magnatom

magnatom Guest

So where do cyclists go then? :biggrin:

13. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

well, on the road of course. They are vehicles after all.

14. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Or kids in cars/kids on bikes/kids trying to cross a road inhabited bypossessive neanderthals who don't realise how much more comfortable things would be for non-car-drivers if they weren't so self-obsessed, inconsiderate and ignorantly dangerous?

15. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Ah but you said you agreed with this guys comments and he said Roads are for cars

No mention of vehicles......:biggrin: