20 mph speed limit on the way?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

orbiter

vbc said:
Who stole my post?

vbc (and Cab),

Having just returned from a holiday in Belgium where 20 mph is standard in towns and cyclists and cars seem to get on very well I'd just love to see it in Britain. I've not had time to read all the vast numbers of postings, but thought I might put the thread back on topic as it works for lots of people, so why not us? We're not that different!

Pete

Tetedelacourse

I spent a few days in Bruges this year and cycling was in the ascendency over cars in the city centre. Quite a sight for me, as cyclists are relatively few and far between in the Edinburgh area. It looked great.

On the continent though, cycling is much more integrated into city plans, and is much more widely accepted than in the UK I think it's fair to say. I think the culture and attitude to cycling here is very different from elsewhere in Europe.

Not wishing to go back over old ground, but I just wonder what the incidence of RTAs is like in say Bruges, compared to a similar sized city in the UK. Anyone know?

Tetedelacourse

HLaB said:
The Scottish Exeutive (now Transport Scotland) as an experiment made the village of Caldercruix a blanket 20mph zone. I've no idea if it works, whenever i'm there, there is little or no traffic to observe the limit and the trial has been going on a long time now.

The Scottish Executive is now Transport Scotland?!:ohmy::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom